How to Properly Deep Clean a Toilet & Stock Toilet Paper
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Charmin. The opinions and text are all mine.
Having three bathrooms and three kids can equate to fun cleaning adventures for me. Around here, I am not only the mom, but I also feel like a maid some days! My kids make such a mess of the bathrooms with toilet paper.
Every time I empty their waste baskets and add new toilet paper, they literally play with it. I think they love the soft feel of brands like Charmin Ultra Strong Clean Touch and Charmin Ultra Soft Cushiony Touch.
See this empty toilet paper roll? This is such a normal thing around here. I actually find myself having to run up and down the stairs to refill our rolls.
I admit, this is super frustrating so I have decided to change that!
Also, for a limited time, you can save an extra $2 via a coupon for a total savings of $5!
Since my kids literally rolled away half the toilet paper I purchased last week, I decided to order a box of Charmin Ultra Strong Clean Touch. 1 Charmin Family Mega Roll = 5+ Regular Rolls based on a number of sheets in Charmin Regular Roll bath tissue!
With my kids, this is perfect!!
This jumbo box of Charmin shipped free with Prime, and inside the box was 3 individual packages of 6 which equal a massive 24 rolls!!!
You can imagine how much I totally needed this with my family of 5! Now, each bathroom has its own supply thanks to some decorative storage.
I also removed the waste baskets from my kid’s bathroom which will reduce the amount of TP waste!
Now, I just need to remind my girls that —No, your dolls cannot have casts made of toilet paper. –That is a true story, and common issue as to why the rolls disappear overnight!
Ok, now that we know what toilet paper is ideal for our family ((and your’s)), I wanted to share…
how to properly deep clean a toilet.
Confession- I have been cleaning toilets since I was 8 years old. My Mom started me off young in the chores department–boy, are my kids lucky!
My Mom never had a toilet brush in our own growing up. She would wash the toilets with disposable gloves, and a thick paper towels with her little “tools of the trade”.
What tools do you need to deep clean a toilet?
- Disposable gloves
- Thick disposable paper towels or rags – 2 sets (one for the bowl, and one for toilet seat/surfaces).
- Cotton Swabs
- Old Toothbrush
- Your favorite eco-friendly spray bathroom/toilet bowl cleaner
- *optional Toilet scrub brush for in-between maintenance.
How to properly deep clean a toilet:
- Flush the toilet to remove any soiled waste.
- Add toilet cleaner directly to the toilet bowl.
- Put on disposable gloves.
- Spray all surfaces of your toilet with cleaner and allow it to soak for a few minutes.
- Start to wipe away cleaner from the top working towards the bottom. Typically, I clean the top of the tank, sides, cover, seat, and sides and base of toilet.
- If you have any build up in the crevices of your toilet, use your toothbrush to scrub them. If they are hard to get to, the cotton swabs work well.
Now for the actual toilet bowl–the most fun part!
- With gloved hands, dip your rag/towels into the bowl and clean under the rim of the toilet. This is where all that buildup grows that your brush cannot get. Clean until the holes are white with no discoloration.
- Then, start to clean the bowl surface, and then the very bottom where the stuff is flushed out. You toilet should be super shiny and clean unless it has calcium/rust buildup.
- Lastly, flush away all the junk you just scrubbed off the bowl.
You now have a deeply cleaned toilet!
To maintain your deeply cleaned toilet, consider using a toilet brush, and cleansers in-between weekly deep cleans.
A clean toilet is only as good as a well-stocked bathroom! Don’t get stranded on the pot! Be sure to stock your bathroom(s) with Charmin Ultra Strong Clean Touch and Charmin Ultra Soft Cushiony Touch. You can save $3 with promo code: 3MEGACHARMIN!