How to Choose the Best Roof Replacement for Your Home
Are you in need of a roof replacement?
- Are your roof shingles brittle and break away easily when the wind blows?
- Do they leak?
- Do they have overgrowth of mold all over the surface?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to begin thinking about replacing your roof.
Most shingled roofs last 20-25 years on average. However, certain factors can cause their lifetime to be shorter… These factors include, but are not limited to :
- Poor or improper installation
- Bird or insect damage
- Mold or moss growth due to close by tree or too much shade.
- High wind events
- Ice dams
Me circa 2015 replacing the small addition roof on our home. It was really low to the ground hence no harness. I recommend you all always where the correct PPE equipment if you attempt to do this yourself, or hire the professionals at Sears Home Services.
The thought of needing to replace a roof can be stressful to a homeowner. When we had to replace the roof in our last home 2 years ago, we were nervous about many aspects of the process. How much does a roof replacement cost? What if we find damage to the structure under the shingles? What if a roof worker gets injured on our property? What if the roof leaks after the replacement? These are all questions we were asking ourselves. As it turns out, they’re actually pretty common questions among homeowners.
Since I have experience doing roof replacements both by myself and through hiring a contractor, I can speak to both ends of the spectrum.
This is how the process works.
Roof replacement process:
First, your old roofing shingles will be stripped from the roof. This includes all underlayment and any current flashing. Any nails that stay inside the sheathing should also be removed.
Now that all of the old roofing materials are removed and only plywood sheathing remains, the roof can be inspected for any damage to the plywood. At this point, any sections that show signs of damage or rot should be replaced.
The next step is to apply an underlayment to the plywood sheathing. Underlayment is an impervious material that is applied directly to the plywood sheathing. Roof underlayment serves as a moisture barrier between the shingles and the plywood sheathing.
The next step is to install flashing to any areas where the roof meets a vertical wall or chimney. Flashing consists of thin metal thats overlapped and bent to fit the shape of the inside corner that joins the 2 surfaces. Flashing prevents water from seeping in between the edge of the roof plywood and the wall or chimney. Another type of flashing called a drip edge will be installed at the bottom edge of the roof. This allows the shingles to overhang the roof by the recommended 3/4″ so the water drips into the gutters and not behind them.
Finally the shingles are installed. Starting at the bottom, the shingles will be installed by overlapping the row below by half the width of the shingle. This ensures creates a secure barrier that prevents rain or snow from penetrating under the shingles.
The final step is the ridge cap. The ridge cap is the strip of shingles at the very peak of the roof.
That’s the roof replacement process in a very brief summary! Thankfully you don’t need to be an expert because Sears Home Services can make really easy for you by doing all of the hard stuff! Read below to find out how you can schedule your free in home consultation and save $500 on roofing purchases of $1500 or more.
How to choose the right roof:
When choosing a new roof a few things should be considered.
- Budget – how much money do you have available to spend on a roof replacement? This cost varies from roof to roof depending on the size and complexity of the replacement. The good news is that Sears Home Services is running a special on roofing replacements. Save $500 on Roofing purchases of $1,500 or more. Offer expires 2/2/19. Not valid on prior sales or in combination with any other offer. Purchase requirement before taxes and after other discounts and must be made in a single transaction.
- Type of roofing – Two popular roofing choices are metal and asphalt shingles. Asphalt shingles provide more lasting durability over metal roofing. It’s wise to opt for a premium shingle like Weatherbeater® Oakridge and Owens Corning™ Supreme. These roof shingles offer some of the best quality and warranties in the industry. They can be found at Sears Home Services. Schedule your free in-home consultation to learn more.
- Color – Opting for a “cool roof” with a lighter color made from ENERGY STAR-Certified products will reflect more of the Sun’s rays and keep the surface temperature cooler. This also can increase the lifespan of your new roof!
Choose an expert roofing contractor:
As always, the contractor you choose to work with should be an expert. When having any type of work done to your home it’s important to do your research on qualified contractors. The contractor must be insured, courteous, responsive, and competent. What I like about Sears Home Services is their proven track record of successful jobs, expertise, and happy customers.
Offer expires 2/2/19. Not valid on prior sales or in combination with any other offer. Purchase requirement before taxes and after other discounts and must be made in a single transaction.