A Savvy Guy’s Take on the Ford Fusion Energi Platinum
We are Driving on Energi Ambassadors. All views expressed are that of our own. #DrivingonEnergi
I’m not a writer for an automobile journal. I don’t work for an automobile manufacturer, nor do I have any exclusive knowledge or insight into the world of cars. What I am is an educated consumer. A purveyor of new technology and cool ideas. I know a good thing when I see it. The 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Platinum is a good thing! It has been a pleasure to drive and operate from the moment I planted my butt in its luxurious leather seat. What’s so great about it? Read on for a rundown.
Your ride starts like this:
- Touch the door handle. The doors automatically unlock as long as the key-less remote is located on you. (You can also setup your Fusion Energi Platinum to keep the key-less remote stored inside the vehicle at all times. You can then use a code that you touch on the driver’s door to unlock the vehicle.)
- Sit down on the soft comfy leather seat, press the brake pedal and press the start button.
- Your power driver’s seat automatically moves forward to your preset driving position.
- Unlike your conventional vehicle, you hear nothing, you feel nothing. The Fusion Energi remains as silent as it was when it was off.
- Turn the shift knob to drive, and you’re silently and smoothly driving away. You’re #DrivingonEnergi baby!
If you started off on a full charge, you’re looking at up to 20 miles before the hybrid engine kicks in. The drive with the 2.0L iVCT Atkinson-cycle I-4 Engine and Electric Motor eCVT automatic transmission is extremely smooth and quiet. I can sneak up on my kids playing outside without them even realizing it!
The list of standard features on the Ford Fusion Energi are enough to satisfy most people. The base model trim is called “SE Luxury” for crying out loud! Here are a few options that come standard*:
- 2.0L iVCT Atkinson-cycle I-4 Engine and Electric Motor
- eCVT automatic transmission
- SYNC® 3
- Rear View Camera
- 10-way power driver’s seat with two memory setting, leather seating surfaces and heated front seats
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Bright exterior door and window trim moldings
- Body color with chrome insert exterior door handles
- Intelligent Access with Remote Start System
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- LED fog lamps with chrome bezel
- LED headlamps
- Upgraded side-view mirrors with heat, security approach lamps, turn signal indicator and auto-dimming with memory
- Warm interior accents
That should be enough to satisfy most peoples’ appetite for luxury. However, if you’re like me and you really dig awesome technology, the Energi Titanium and the Energi Platinum trims offer even more.
The Energi Platinum is the top of the line trim in the Ford Fusion Energi series. Platinum comes standard with:
- Premium leather seats
- Premium leather wrapped console, instrument panel, and door rests
- My Ford Mobile
- Heated and cooled seats (If you haven’t enjoyed cooled seats before, you will be blown away!)
- Pre-collision assist with pedestrian detection
- and many more
While driving, the EV battery is recharged by both coasting and regenerative braking. This is enough to provide you with battery power even after you’ve depleted the 20 miles of “EV only” driving. The Fusion Energi automatically switches from EV to Hybrid engine depending on the driving conditions. It’s so driver friendly, even someone with minimal technical knowledge could drive it without any issues.
Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go
My car came equipped with adaptive cruise control. Adaptive cruise control keeps your set distance away from the vehicle ahead of you. It automatically adjusts your speed, up to the speed you set. Here’s the best part – it even works in stop and go traffic! It wil automatically bring you to a complete stop, and then resume driving when the car in front of you drives forward. For safety reasons, you have to re-enable it if you’re stopped for more than a few seconds. Otherwise, you might forget you had cruise control activated and freak out when the car moves on its own! What a great option this is!
Enhanced Active Park Assist
I back into my parking spaces most of the time. I prefer to spend a little extra time parking, so I can have the pleasure of simply driving forward out of my parking spot. Since I back into my spaces all the time, I’m really good at it. Some other people might not trust themselves to back into parking spots because of their vehicle’s blindspots, or simply because they don’t have the skill or bother to do so. The Ford Fusion Energi Platinum comes standard with Enhanced Active Park Assist (this is an option on SE Luxury & Titanium trims). Enhanced Active Park Assist performs the hard work for you with perpendicular parking (backing into a parking space) and parallel parking! The dreaded parallel park – some people are really good at it, but the rest of us suck at it! I’m in the latter category. My Fusion Energi Platinum parallel parks me like a pro. I just follow the on-screen prompts and control drive/reverse & gas/brake. It also pulls you out of parking spaces easily.
I’m still learning how to drive this Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) more efficiently. The best thing about owning a PHEV is you can keep your driving style exactly the same as it was for a conventional gas vehicle, or you can alter it slightly and learn how to drive for optimal efficiency! I opt for efficiency, so I’m actively learning and getting the hang of the best way to drive a PHEV. I’ll be sure to share what I learned soon.
These are just a few initial thoughts I wanted to share about the 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Platinum. It’s a true pleasure to drive so far, and it makes me feel good that I’m helping to keep my city clean by #DrivingOnEnergi.
Stay tuned for more valuable info on Electric Vehicles and the Ford Fusion Energi!