Kid Friendly Pumpkin Family Magnet Craft Using text-UR® Foam
Now that it really feels like Fall here in New England, I decided to decorate for Fall, and start incorporating the harvest season into kid friendly activities. The folks over at Fibre-Craft generously sent over an assortment of their text-UR® Foam activity kits. My girls had a blast making foam creatures, insects, animals and more!
In honor of Fall’s impending arrival, I decided to do a fun after school activity with my girls and make a kid friendly pumpkin family magnet craft using text-UR® Foam. If you are not familiar with text-UR® Foam, they make some of the funnest kits that allow children to create and invent using foam that is literally textured. Some foam is fuzzy, some bumpy, and some has raised patterns. I personally prefer the text-UR® Foam brand over conventional foam sheets because it allows kids to explore their senses, and it also looks better.
My daughters had a blast making little lady bugs, lizards, whales, and more! Depending on the kit you choose, (there are many) some have pre cut animals, and shapes. I really enjoyed the text-UR® Foam kits because they pretty much opened the door to a no fail craft activity.
Since we are in the unofficial Fall season, I wanted to focus on my kid friendly pumpkin family magnet craft using text-UR® Foam. We primarily used the Primary Colors foam Sheet Value Pack for this harvest craft. This kit is available at stores like Michael’s and AC Moore. It contains 6 primary colors (2 of each color). The brown, orange, and green colors are the ones we used-1 sheet of each.
- text-UR® Foam -Primary Color Pack (available at AC Moore, Michael’s Arts and Crafts)
- black marker
- no glue is needed because each text-UR® Foam comes with self adhesive squares
- Set aside one green, orange, and brown sheet of foam from your Primary Colors foam Sheet Value Pack
- Flip your foam sheets to the smooth side, and sketch out your pumpkins. You will want the dad larger than the mom, adjust it to your families’ size, and structure. We have a total of five people so I sketched out five circles.
- Cut a out a skinny strip from your brown foam for the stems. Again, adjust them to the pumpkin size
- Using about 3/4 inch of the green foam, cut a strip for the leaves. We just free cut the leaves from eye, but you can sketch them out on the back side of the foam.
- Using the self adhesive foam squares from your text-UR® Foam kit, assemble your pumpkins. Each should have one stem, and two leaves.
- After they are all assembled, use the excess orange text-UR® Foam to practice drawing your pumpkin faces. I used a permanent maker and just pressed it on the pumpkin for the eyes, and went easy on it for the mouths. It may bleed a bit, so the practice helps. The orange foam has a fuzzy texture so it can be a little tricky.
- After your kids draw on the faces, add a self adhesive magnet to the backs-we used the magnets from our Bugs text-UR® Foam Activity Kit
I hope you enjoy making this kid friendly pumpkin family magnet craft using text-UR® Foam with your kids! I know my girls cannot wait to create with their kits when time permits. I can always appreciate a hybrid crafting toy that allows my kids to imagine, create, and explore.
If you would like to make your own purchase text-UR® Foam Kits, you can do so by visiting stores like Meijer, JoAnn Fabric, Michael’s, Amazon, and AC Moore. They are very reasonably priced at just $2.99-$8.99 per kit, BUT these stores frequently offer coupons so you can get them even cheaper!
We are also able to give one lucky reader a choice of either the Crafty Package or Standard Package!!