Ryobi 18V Impact Driver Review
Recently I had the pleasure of reviewing the Ryobi P236 One+ 18V Impact Driver. First of all, I really dig the look of this tool. The bright neon color of the One+ product line is very eye catching, and modern. I love how the driver easily stands-out in my wide array of tools, and is easy to locate if you’re working in low light environments. The driver is compact and lightweight, especially when used with the compact Lithium Ion battery pack (model# P106). The Impact Driver fits perfectly in my average-sized hand. The innovative rubber grip provides a comfortable non-slip surface that comes in handy if your hand gets sweaty.
In addition to the look, and feel of the Impact Driver, Ryobi strategically placed an array of 3 LED lights on the driver. This lighted feature projects on the drill chuck, and fastener when the trigger is pressed. I found this to be a great feature while working in my workshop, which is located in my dimly lit cellar. Another bonus, Ryobi threw in was a magnetic tray located just below the handle. The magnetic tray has enough room for a few fasteners that were just removed, or are ready to drive.
The Ryobi One+ 18V Impact Driver delivered great torque. Ryobi claims 1,600 in*lbs. of torque. I don’t own a tool to measure the actual torque output, but I’ll take Ryobi’s word for it. The driver has more than enough torque to suit my (and most other homeowners’) needs.
Things I liked:
- High torque rating (1,600 in*lbs)
- Sleek look and feel
- LED lighted Quick-change chuck
- One+ battery chemistry
Overall, the Ryobi P236 One+ 18V Impact Driver is a great tool for homeowners. It’s affordable, sleek, powerful, and well made. These features make it a must have addition for any weekend warrior’s toolbox. I highly recommend this tool to anyone looking for a cordless impact driver that’s affordable, and performs like a driver twice the price.
- Battery: 18 Volt
- Speed: 0-2,400 RPM (no-load)
- Chuck: ¼” auto-load quick coupler
- Tool Weight: 2.55 lbs
- Auto-load chuck for fast, easy one-handed bit loading and ejecting
- 3 LED lights provide optimum illumination and eliminate shadows on work surface
- Powerful motor provides over 40% more torque than previous model for the most demanding driving applications
- Unique impact mechanism designed to drive long screws and lag bolts with ease
- MagTray ™ magnetic holder for convenient placement of screws and bits
- New and improved GripZone™ overmold for optimum grip and user comfort
- Variable speed trigger assists in screw start-up
- Onboard bit storage for convenience
P236 Impact Driver, Phillips Bit, Socket Adaptor and Operator’s Manual [Battery and Charger Sold Separately]
WARRANTY: Ryobi 3 Year Warranty
LAUNCH DATE: November 2011
SUGGESTED RETAIL: $69, exclusively sold at The Home Depot