This post was sponsored by Hood as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
An easy to make appetizer or snack that is perfectly crispy and savory. Each creamy bite of filling has the perfect amount of creamy cheese and crisp bacon. This crowd-pleasing appetizer takes just minutes to make!
Summer is in full swing and while get-togethers might look a little different, there is still a need for tasty appetizers. I am all about running my oven as little as possible, so the 12-minute bake time of these crunchy wontons is perfect!
If you are all about the heavenly pairing of bacon & cheese, you will love the creamy, tangy, tongue tantalizing flavor these baked Bacon & Cheese Wontons encompass.
The best part is they require common ingredients that are easy to source. Each batch makes 24 Bacon & Cheese Cups that your guests will be sure to love!
As mentioned, these bite-sized bacon appetizers require some pretty simple but delicious ingredients that come together to make some mighty tasty bites. You will need to have the following on-hand to successfully replicate these cups.
Wonton wrappers- These are available in the produce section of your grocer typically near the mushrooms and Asian-inspired products.
Hood Sour Cream- A New England favorite, this sour cream is available in two formats. I love the 16-ounce Hood Sour Cream Squeeze Bottle for the perfectly controlled dollop of sour cream. We buy it for nacho night, and for our baked potatoes. I love how I do not need to spoon to squeeze on the perfect amount of goodness.
For this recipe, I used the 16-ounce container. I love how Hood Sour Cream is made with quality ingredients. It is always thick, fresh, and anything but watery. Made with Hood Milk, this sour cream is made without any artificial growth hormones (rBST).
Green Onion- Provides a delicious garnish and flavor to enhance the bacon and creamy filling.
Bacon- I used a quality hickory-smoked variety, but you can mix it up and use whichever cut you prefer. Of course, I cooked mine to the perfect crispy texture.
Cheeses- Both cream cheese & hand-grated cheddar cheese were used in this recipe to help accentuate the sour cream flavor.
Garlic- Just a couple of cloves provide a delicious zest that pairs nicely with the accompanying flavors.
Worcestershire sauce- My secret weapon for many recipes, I love the “POP” of flavor depth this adds!
Spices– Onion powder, and black pepper work together to tie all the flavor up making for the tastiest filling ever!
Once the ingredients come together (see recipe card for full instructions) the wontons are baked with filling. Over the years, I have found that doubling up the wontons shells makes for a sturdier, crispier cup. I simply overlap the square layers and firmly press them into my standard-sized (nonstick) muffin tin.
I find the key to getting them perfectly crisp is to spray them with a touch of olive oil spray. This allows them to develop a nice crunch and golden-brown coloring.
Just ten minutes in the oven is all you need for a cheesy, creamy, and delicious Bacon & Cheese Wonton cup.
These are delicious warm out of the oven, but taste good at room temperature as well. They are always a hit at parties and game days, making them a delicious snack, appetizer, or quick meal for any day of the week.
Be sure to pick up Hood Sour Cream at your local grocer. You can find it in the dairy aisle.
Bacon & Cheese Wontons
- 24-count muffin tin
- cooking spray
- 12 ounces wonton wrappers 48-count per package
- 8 ounces Hood Sour Cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 4 tbsps. green onion diced, *reserve 2 tablespoons for topping.
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 3 ounces bacon cooked until crisp. *reserve 2 tablespoons for topping.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Once cooled, crush bacon using clean hands until you make tiny pieces. Reserve 1-2 tablespoons for garnish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line muffin tin with doubled wonton wrapper. Overlap them to create a thicker, even shell. See images above.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add cream cheese, spices, half the green onion, 2 ounces of grated cheddar, Hood Sour Cream, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix all ingredients until combined.
- Fill wonton wrappers with 1 tablespoon of filling and then grate the remaining cheese over them.
- Bake cups for ten minutes. Cheese will melt and cups will have deep golden-brown edges.
- Garnish cups with remaining bacon and green onion before serving.