Super moist, dense, sweet banana cake is baked in a bundt pan and topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting. Topped with walnuts, this is a delicious banana cake recipe to bake up with overripe bananas.
This past Christmas, my mom gave me the prettiest cake stand and cover ever. Maybe I love it so much because it reminds me of my Vavo’s table? Around here, every Portuguese cook has the staple glass cake stand in the center of their table or counter. Since I do make quite a bit of cakes, I knew I needed a better solution verses a dinner plate and aluminum foil. Plus, as a food blogger it is just not pretty behind the scenes.
When I opened my gift (one of many) I knew my mom did good. Actually, I guess moms do always know us the best because my mom always gets me the perfect gifts. —Thanks mom!
Once I got home, I washed my glass cake stand, and set it on my buffet table in the living room. Before my kids went to school, they jokingly said: “Mom, can you fill that with something yummy for our snack later?” I knew it would be terrible to not bake a cake, and baking is my therapy and unwind time as weird as that sounds.
We had a bunch of mega ripe bananas that were almost all black in the fruit holder so banana cake it was! However, things almost came to a screeching halt when I remembered I used all the sour cream for a dinner meal. I did have a large tub of Greek Vanilla Bean yogurt so that was cool! I would replace the sour cream with greek yogurt and hope for the best.
Did things turn out good for my Banana Bundt Cake with Walnut Cream Cheese Frosting?
You bet! This recipe produces one mighty heavy cake, but one that is super moist.
Last week I was going to make a cheesecake so I had tons of cream cheese on hand, so cream cheese frosting with walnuts were a GO!
I love cream cheese frosting because it is easy to make a my version contains no butter (there is enough in the cake after all)
Banana Bundt Cake with Walnut Cream Cheese Frosting
- bundt cake pan
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Hand mixer
- banana masher
- Rubber Spatula
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 1 cup Greek vanilla or plain yogurt
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 4 medium bananas the more speckles, the better
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease a Bundt cake pan with shortening generously.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add in the eggs, softened butter, and extract; combine until creamy. Mix in the mashed banana and mix until all ingredients are fully combined. Batter will be slightly lumpy from the mashed bananas and should not be 100% creamy.
- Fill greased Bundt pan with batter and bake on middle oven rack for 60-65 minutes or until firm, and golden-brown. Insert a toothpick into center of cake to determine if it is done. It should come out clean when cake is done baking.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a bowl add all ingredients, and beat on low until creamy and smooth. Carefully dollop over the cooled Bundt cake and then top with optional walnuts.