This is the best pecan pie you will ever make! The filling to pecan ratio is spot on. This southern style pecan pie is the perfect combination of sweet and salty. Make it for your next family gathering or for a delicious weeknight dessert.
I am sure we can all agree that a fresh-baked pecan pie is synonymous with the south! A few things I loved about Southern Pecan Pie is that it is actually not at all hard to make! It is a single crust pie that can be made to look exquisite thanks to some carefully placed halved pecans, and crimped pie crust.
The first time I have ever enjoyed a slice of pecan pie was when my family and I were vacationing in Virginia. I decided to try a piece at a restaurant, and boy was it so darn good. The sweet crunch of that pie had me wanting to bake up another, and replicate the sticky, sweet taste.
And that is just what I did!
If you are looking to make your first pecan pie–YAY, you have come to the right place! I am here to tell you that this pie might be a little pricey to make because pecans are quite the pretty penny. However, one bite of this pie and you will not mind the cost of sheer bliss!
Served with a dollop of whipped cream, or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have a dreamy dessert. The best part is you do not have to live in the south to enjoy this dessert!
My family enjoyed a slice of this pie for breakfast and they all loved it! My three kids asked me to make another, and I just might have to do that really soon! The custard sweetness of the pie, paired with the crunchy pecans makes for one tasty pie.
It was so darn delicious–I guess I really should have made two pecan pies since the recipe for this Southern Style Pecan pie is easy peasy!
Wondering what ingredients you will need to pick up at the market? Check them out below!
Pecan pie ingredients
Pecans- You can use halved or chopped. For looks, the larger pieces make for a prettier pie.
Pie Crust- You can made your own, but I used a store-bought crust. You can find a nice lard crust recipe here.
Eggs- Needed to make the custardy filling on this pie.
Butter- Unsalted is best for this recipe.
Light Brown Sugar- Used to make this pie extra sweet.
Light Corn Syrup- We always use the Karo brand for our baked recipes like this pie and these Corn Syrup Chewy Cookies.
Vanilla Extract- Use real extract to amplify the flavor of this pecan pie filling.
Salt- Kosher salt to help enhance the balance and sweetness of this pie.
Do you need to blind bake crust?
For this pecan pie recipe, you do not need to blind bake the pie crust. Simply either unwrap, or roll out dough, and cover a 9.5″ pie dish with dough. Crimp the edges and place the pie lined dish in the refrigerator until you are ready to add filling.
Be sure to allow the pie to cool for one hour before slicing. This pie tastes delicious alone, but is even better with a dollop of fresh cream or vanilla ice cream. It is a sweet & sticky pie with a tasty crunch that will have you wanting more!
The Best Pecan Pie Recipe
- 9.5" pie dish
- 2 cups pecans Leave one cup whole, and 1 cup crushed.
- 1 pie crust dough shell
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Prepare your pie dough *frozen, fresh, or premade crust. Line a 9.5" pie dish with dough, and crimp. Place dough covered pie dish in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add in the brown sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add in vanilla extract, corn syrup, and salt; allow to cool for 3-5 mins
- Whisk in eggs into the semi-cooled sugar mixture. Mixture will be fluffy and ready to be poured into the chilled crust.
- Remove pie crust from refrigerator and pour 1 cup of pecans into the shell. Add brown sugar mixture in and then use remaining one cup of pecans to decorate the top.
- Place filled pie dish into preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, add a pie crust shield (to prevent over browning for the crust). for the remaining 20 minutes of baking time to prevent the crust from over browning. Pie will bake for 50 minutes total.
- Allow pie to cool for at least one hour before slicing.