Baked Honey Sesame Chicken
This honey sesame chicken boasts less calories and is baked and not fried. Loaded with delicious flavors with common pantry ingredients.
Who loves Chinese Takeout?
Before I started really watching my weight and eating healthier, Chinese takeout was a staple for my husband and I. We would have little date night once the kids went to bed and indulge in deep fried goodness.
Well, actually it was not that good. Those crunchy moments of euphoria led to immediate sick to our stomachs aches, and feelings of depression from the weight we were packing on.
Why does “good” food have to be so bad?
Thankfully, we have finally changed out mentality and for 5 weeks we have been eating more nutritious foods, or making some of our favorites like Honey Sesame Chinese Chicken better for us.
Recently, I have learned that food can taste good when baked. Not everything needs to be deep fried in grease to be scrumptious. So I set out to turn some old favorites into better for my family meals.
Make Your Own Honey Sesame Chinese Chicken at Home
This Better Than Takeout Baked Honey Sesame Chinese Chicken is just that..better than the greasy, fried, black meat chicken out restaurant served. I feel comforted in knowing that the meat used in my Baked Honey Sesame Chinese Chicken was all white meat, and fresh.
I used a combination cooking technique to get the chicken crispy but without all the fat and grease. A quick pan fry to get the chicken’s corn starch coating golden brown, and an oven bake produced some of the tastiest and moist honey sesame chicken.
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 Cup of Corn Starch
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil for frying
- 8 tablespoons of honey
- 5 tablespoons of ketchup
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Scallion/green onion
- Sesame seeds (I used toasted which I purchased)
In a bowl, mix cubed chicken with the 1 cup of corn starch; coat thoroughly.
Heat a skillet with the coconut oil and pan fry chicken until slightly golden brown but NOT fully cooked (about 3-5 minutes).
In a large bowl mix sauce ingredients, and heat sauce in a saucepan until it just bubbles.
Once chicken is done being pan fried, place it in a baking dish and pour the sauce over it
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
Garnish chicken with toasted sesame seeds and scallions/green onion.
This Better Than Takeout Baked Honey Sesame Chinese Chicken is so darn good, and you will not even miss the takeout! Plus, since you use way less oil you are not getting all that fat!!!
You might also like these other Baked Chinese Recipes:
Get the printable recipe for Better Than Takeout Chinese Honey Sesame Chicken
Better Than Takeout Chinese Honey Sesame Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast raw, cubed
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsps oil can use sesame or coconut oil
- 8 tbsps honey
- 5 tbsps ketchup
- 4 tbsps sugar
- 3 tbsps white vinegar
- 4 tbsps soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsps garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsps corn starch mix with 2 tbsps water
- In a bowl, mix cubed chicken with the 1 cup of corn starch; coat thoroughly.
- Heat a skillet with the coconut oil and pan fry chicken until slightly golden brown but NOT fully cooked (about 3-5 minutes).
- In a large bowl mix sauce ingredients, and heat sauce in a saucepan until it just bubbles.
- Once chicken is done being pan fried, place it in a baking dish and pour the sauce over it
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
- Garnish chicken with toasted sesame seeds and scallions/green onion.