In this post, we’ll show you how to make Cheese-Stuffed Slow Cooker Meatloaf. This meatloaf recipe is moist, savory, and oozing with melted cheese! This delicious recipe is easy to make and is great for families.
If you are wanting to make a flavor-packed meatloaf that is not dry, or boring–this recipe is for you! We are firm believers that cheese makes everything better! That is why this meatloaf is such a hit with our family.
Before starting this recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- Ground Beef – 80/20 is the best fat to meat ratio because you want the moisture and flavor.
- Bread crumbs – We love using panko breadcrumbs in our meatballs recipe. This provides texture, and moisture, but allows for our other flavors to shine.
- Worcestershire sauce – This fermented sauce adds a nice zing to the meat.
- Garlic – In this case, fresh is best! Press your cloves to extract all the tasty flavor.
- Onion – Fresh yellow onion slices, as well as some minced variety, adds a nice texture and flavor to the loaf.
- Salt & pepper – Helps to enhance the flavor of the other ingredients and beef.
- Ketchup – Add moisture and flavor.
- Mustard – Yellow or dijon mustard adds a nice flavor.
- Egg – This will help to bind the ingredients.
- Cheese – Cheddar cheese is our personal favorite for this recipe. Cube the cheese, and then place it in the freezer for 3-4 hours to help prevent cheese ooze when baking.
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- 6-Quart Slow Cooker – Add a slow cooker rack into the bottom of the pan to help grease drain.
- Large bowl – to mix all ingredients for the meatloaf in.
- Cutting Board – to slice and mine the onions.
- Garlic press – to extract all the precious oils and flavor from your garlic cloves.
- Measuring cups & spoons – to measure out sauces, and spices.
- Non-stick, Heavy-duty aluminum foil – to make clean-up, and removal much easier.
Add all the ingredients except the cheese into a large mixing bowl. Combine everything with clean hands. Flatten the meat and stuff the frozen cubes of cheese into the center of the loaf. Cover the cheese back up with meat.
Transfer the meat to an aluminum foil-lined slow cooker. You want to form the meat into a mound that looks like a jumbo egg shape. The cheese should be in the center of the meat.
Add onion slices to the top of the meatloaf, and cook for 4-6 hours or until internal temperature of the meat reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grab sides of foil and remove meatloaf from the slow cooker. Transfer to a serving dish and slice.
Follow the recipe below to make this Slow Cooker Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf! This recipe makes 6 SERVINGS, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Make this crockpot meatloaf a complete main dish by pairing it with one of our delicious sides like these Garlic Red Bliss Mashed Potatoes.
In a large mixing bowl, add you meat, and slowly work in your egg, breadcrumbs, spices, and sauces. Mix them well, and form your meat into a large circle. Add your diced cheese to the center, and form your meat around it, into a loaf shape.
Place your meat into your slow cooker, and add your onions to the top of it. Set it to low, and let it slow cook for no more than 6 hours.
Your slow cooker cheese stuffed meatloaf will melt in your mouth, and be a hit! You could also place a few strips of bacon over the top, or add BBQ sauce for even more flavor!
Cheese Stuffed Slow Cooker Meatloaf
- 6-quart slow cooker
- nonstick, heavy-duty aluminum foil
- large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Cutting board
- chef's knife
- 2 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup honey mustard
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup italian bread crumbs
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices onion sliced thickly
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef. Slowly work in your egg, breadcrumbs, spices, and sauces
- Mix well and form the meat into a large circle.
- Add the cheddar cheese to the center of the meat and form the meat around the cheese to made a large mound.
- Add the meatloaf to foil lined slow cooker. Add onion slices to the top of the meatloaf, and cook for 4-6 hours or until internal temperature of the meat reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow meat to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Kan di says
Yum! I will have to try this one day!
Looks delicious! Shared!
Kimberly C. says
Yummy! I think I could make this gluten free even!
Jessi Timmermans says
Ive never thought of making meatloaf in a slowcooker
Amber M. says
Looks amazing! I love meatloaf!
Oh that sounds so good.
This is right up my alley! And the slow cooker makes it even better.
Jenna Parsons says
I just made this for dinner and it was AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing this! It was able to cook all day while I got everything done around the house, I will definitely make this again!
Thanks! Makes me feel good to know someone else loved it too :)
The honey mustard, is it dressing or honey flavored mustard?
Honey mustard dressing. I use Kens!
Thanks Amy. Sounds great, can’t wait to give it a try!
Making this tonight but using kraft american slices.
Hopefully it turns out good.
How did it turn out?
I am trying this tonight so i will keep you posted
Susan A Webb says
Can’t wait to try it but i need to double the recipe i have a large crock pot . how long will it need to cook?
Am I missing something? Recipe says thick sliced onion, but doesn’t say how to use them???
Hi, this was in the post but didn’t make it to the printable version.
Add the meatloaf to foil lined slow cooker. Add onion slices to the top of the meatloaf, and cook for 4-6 hours or until internal temperature of the meat reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.