Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe-Made with Egg Noodles
We are al fresco Chicken Sausage ambassadors. All tasty views expressed are that of our own.
Comfort foods like Chicken Tetrazzini are some of my favorites to make during the start of the fall season. I guess you could say we went from oppressive humidity to heat-worthy chill here in New England all in under a week! But, I am not complaining because fall is my favorite time of year because it means I can finally enjoying baking again in my kitchen.
Baking when the AC is on just does not feel right to me. I love to have a clean kitchen, open window and relaxing atmosphere when I make hearty recipes like this Chicken Tetrazzini.
There is just something so peaceful about gathering all the ingredients and starting the rewarding process of cooking up a comfort dish like this pasta.
But, there is one downside to baking up tons of comfort meals in the colder months–extra calories!
Since I have already lost 23 lbs on my lifestyle change, I am not looking to pile them back on rapidly. That is why I have taken my go-to chicken tetrazzini recipe and lightened it up.
Swapping standard chicken for the extremely flavorful Sweet Italian Style al fresco Chicken Sausage keeps the dish flavor-packed without a huge calorie increase.
I also subbed out the sherry for additional chicken stock and the heavy cream for skim milk.
Lastly, instead of using my traditional, creamier blend of cheeses I opted for a parmesan and breadcrumb crust.
Overall, I do not feel like these smart substitutes hurt my easy chicken tetrazzini at all. I even increased the onion (I love onions) and added peas which added delicious texture to the dish. I mean, you really cannot ever have enough veggies–right?
I think subbing out the standard chicken for al fresco Chicken Sausage was a wonderful move! It allowed me to bring more depth to the dish which can turn bland FAST without the right spice balance. Plus, al fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage is fully cooked so it can be added in with the sauteeing veggies which really works well for me!
I don’t know about you, but I do not like fussing with raw chicken! I much rather slice, and heat up this chicken sausage rather than trim chicken breast!
Plus al fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage is made with lean, skinless chicken meat, contains 70% less fat than pork sausage (USDA), and 30% less sodium than pork sausage (USDA). Lastly, it is gluten-free which is perfect for our family!
It gave this chicken tetrazzini such a perfect taste and paired well with the mushroom, peas, and onion.
Despite using a more healthier base for my sauce, I do believe the results worked in my favor as you can see.
I was still able to get a creamy sauce without the added fat!
Looking to recreate this recipe? Get the printable Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe Made with Egg Noodles below!
Head on over to our Instagram because we are teaming up with the folks at al fresco to take over their Instagram this week & give away a slow cooker to one lucky reader with a supply of al fresco chicken sausage!
Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe-Made with Egg Noodles
- 1 12 ounce bag egg noodles
- 1 package al fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage Cubed into 1/4" pieces
- salt & black pepper to season
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 cups brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small package frozen peas thawed & heated
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups skim milk I used skim milk, but you can sub the milk you prefer in!
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- olive oil cooking spray
- Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese Shredded, best if you grate your own.
- dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a deep-dish casserole pan. Bring a large salted pot of water to boil for the egg noodles. Cook egg noodles until al dente and set aside for later. In a deep-walled enamelware, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and chicken sausage. Season with salt & pepper. Cook until onions are clear, about 5 minutes. Add the last tablespoon of butter and stir until melted. Stir in flour and cook for an additional minute. Slowly whisk in milk & stock to ensure there are no clumps. Bring mixture to a boil, and then set to a simmer for for 8 minutes. Add egg noodles to the greased casserole dish. Stir in peas. Pour over the thickened milk mixture. Top with Italian Bread crumbs, dried parsley, and cheese. Bake for 30 minutes & enjoy!
I LOVE this spin on one of my favorites! The turkey sausage is a great idea, and everything is better when it has egg noodles!
Melissa Chapman says
I love the way you substituted the skim milk and added peas to this already great dish. It really makes it better and lighter without any loss of flavor.
Jeni Hawkins says
I swear, that al fresco Chicken Sausage is my FAVORITE chicken sausage! I love how you used it in this awesome recipe, too!
Brianne Manz says
This is one of my favorite dishes and I love your twist on a favorite. It looks delicious so I am going to have to try it.
I love chicken tetrazzini. It’s one of my favorites. I need to see if I can find that chicken sausage here.
Toni | Boulder Locavore says
This looks really good! Such a perfect meal any night!
Becca Wilson says
I really love tetrazzini! I have never tried it with anything but turkey so this would be something new!
Reesa Lewandowski says
This looks like the most delicious and perfect week night meal! i am going to have to try this!
These are my favorite sausages for easy breakfasts and dinners. I would never have thought to cook them like this!
Flour? A tbsp ? one whole bag?
Sorry! 1/4 cup! I apologize!