This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
A deliciously smoky and flavorful soup that takes just 30 minutes to make. This soup can be made on the stove top and is perfect for using up leftover spiral ham. Made with simple ingredients, this soup is comfort in a bowl.
Are you looking for a delicious Ham & Potato Soup recipe that features no heavy cream, or celery? If so, this 30-Minute Ham & Potato Soup is for you! It features Better than Bouillon Premium Roasted Chicken Base.
Truthfully, we have been really digging into our pantry staples lately, and produce we have on-hand. We recently made a huge spiral ham and have been strategically using the leftovers in simple recipes.
We have made this Ham & Potato Quiche recipe and most recently this soup with thing we had in the house.
Since I love to cook, I always have recipe starters like Better Than Bouillon flavorful pastes that are available in a variety of flavors to suit all tastes. These jarred pastes enhance dishes with a delicious depth of flavor without all the salt traditional bouillon cubes add to meals.
For this soup, we used items we hand in the house. The Better than Bouillon Premium Roasted Chicken Base, leftover spiral ham, garlic, onion, milk, water, butter, flour, spices, and scallions.
The base of this soup is perfect for clam chowder, or corn chowder too! Just add corn for corn chowder, or sub the ham for canned clams (if you have any) for clam chowder. It it the perfect combo of creamy, but not overly thick which I love.
I love how easy Better Than Bouillon is to add to dishes like this soup. I used two healthy teaspoons in this recipe which worked out perfectly to give the soup a delicious flavor profile.
If you are not sure how to use Better Than Bouillon jarred pastes, you can use their conversion calculator right on their site. No matter what ingredients you have on-hand, these products will add that missing “something” to your next dish.
Ham & Potato Soup toppings
We added some diced green onion to our soup, but you can add any soup crackers, or cheddar cheese you might have op-hand–either would be yummy!!
What do you have in your pantry or fridge you can use for your next meal?
Easy Ham & Potato Soup
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup Spiral Ham (leftovers, cooked), diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cups russet potatoes peeled, washed, cubed
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsps. Premium Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- 5 tbsps. butter
- 5 tbsps. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- scallions for flavor diced (optional)
- Add water, ham, potato, onion, and fresh garlic to a 6-8 quart pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, reduce heat and add spices, and Premium Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base; stir.
- In a small skillet, add butter and flour. Whisk over low-medium heat until thick. Slowly whisk in the milk and combine until it is lump-free. Stir over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Once combined, add milk mixture to the main soup pot.
- Stir soup and simmer for 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Potatoes will be tender, and soup should be creamy, but not thick. Serve warm!