EggPlant Pepperoni Pizzas
Last week I was visiting some blogs I love and I came across a delicious recipe on Two of a Kind. They made a dish called EggPlant Pizza, and I was so amazed, and intrigued by their recipe that I just had to try it out myself! Besides sounding delicious I knew it would be perfect for my family because my husband and daughter have to follow a gluten free diet for health reasons. Sadly they both love pizza, but I am far from the best pizza maker!
Since we have 5 people in our household, I bought two eggplants. I have to admit, I have NEVER bought an eggplant before, and maybe ate it 1-3 times in the past. I know it was a good experience so I hoped my the pizza would turn out to be a hit with all my family. Since we had pepperoni on hand (such a rare thing) I decided I use that and some mozzarella cheese for my toppings. Next time I will add veggies because I want it to be even healthier!
- 2 large egg plants-I purchases firm ones
- olive oil
- Italian Spices
- Mozzarella cheese
- Veggie toppings or Hormel Pepperoni
- Tomato Sauce
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- Spray two baking sheets with nonstick spray, or use parchment paper
- Slice your eggplants to a 1/4 inch thickness
- Line them on your baking sheets
- Brush each piece with olive oil, and sprinkle them with Italian spices
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Remove from oven, and add your cheese, sauce and toppings
- Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes
- Use a spatula to remove each piece; serve with a nice garden salad.
A few thoughts:
These came out like perfection! My husband and I loved them, but my picky 4 year old ate the toppings and middle of her eggplant. I thought the cooking times worked out perfectly, and I will 110% be making this again as my go to pizza. It is such a wonderful substitute for bread!!!