Hearty Vegetable Lasagna Recipe is a delicious layered pasta dish that features only perfectly seasoned sauteed veggies, 3 cheeses, and lots of tasty flavor.
Are you looking to eat less red meat in the New Year? Maybe you want to make your go to meals a little healthier? Whatever the reason being, enjoying a plate of this Hearty Vegetable Lasagna should be on your to do list!
Lasagna has always been one of my favorites dishes, but I was never a huge fan of the hamburger meat because I’d always find bone shards in it–super gross huh?
Now, I prefer to exchange the seasoned beef for some pan sauteed squash, onion, and zucchini which I cook for a few minutes to add extra flavor in. If you cook with squash, you know there is a lot of water that cooks off.
By pre-cooking your veggies in a wok or frying pan, you not only add much needed seasoning, but you can drain some of the excess liquid so that your lasagna can bake up firm and tasty.
One thing I have to admit about this Hearty Vegetable Lasagna, is that there is still plenty o calories in it. I use 4 different cheeses which pack a caloric punch. However, this meal is still super flavorful, and great to enjoy on a chilly winter day!
Want to dig into your very own slice of cheesy, vegetable heaven? Here is what you need:
Vegetable Lasagna Ingredients
- 1 package of lasagna noodles *I prefer no-boil varieties.
- 1 jar of your favorite vegetable-based marinara sauce
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 16 oz container of cottage cheese
- 16 oz container of ricotta cheese
- 2 cups of Italian Cheese blend
- Italian spice, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and sea salt *to taste
- 2 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg for binding
How to Make Vegetable Lasagna
In a skillet, frying pan, or wok, heat your olive oil and then add your sliced veggies, and spices in.
Cook vegetables until just tender, but not mushy.
Drain any excess liquid out of the pan before layering veggies into the casserole dish.
In a bowl, combine the egg, cottage and ricotta mixture.
Layer a deep casserole baking dish with lasagna noodles, a layer of cheese mixture, veggies, sauce, and shredded cheese; repeat twice making two layers.
Add remaining one cup of shredded cheese to the top of veggie lasagna and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees fahrenheit.
After lasagna has baked, allow it to rest for at least 1 hour so that you will be able to cut nice slices from it. If you don’t mind having perfect slices, you can eat it right away!
Serve with a salad and garlic bread.
The Best Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
- 9 ounces lasagna noodles no-boil is easier to use
- 24 ounces Marinara sauce we love Rao's
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 16 ounces ricotta
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Italian Cheese blend
- 1 tsp Italian Herb Spice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a skillet, frying pan, or wok, heat your olive oil and then add your sliced veggies, and spices in.
- Cook vegetables until just tender, but not mushy.
- Drain any excess liquid out of the pan before layering veggies into the casserole dish.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, cottage and ricotta mixture.
- Layer a deep casserole baking dish with lasagna noodles, a layer of cheese mixture, veggies, sauce, and shredded cheese; repeat twice making two layers.
- Add remaining one cup of shredded cheese to the top of veggie lasagna and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- After lasagna has baked, allow it to rest for at least 1 hour so that you will be able to cut nice slices from it. If you don't mind having perfect slices, you can eat it right away!
- Serve with a salad and garlic bread.
Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says
Veggie lasagna is one of my favorites. Yours sounds better than the one I usually make ;)
YUm! This looks like a recipe I would love to try! I’m a huge fan of veggie lasagna but have never made my own. I’ll be adding this recipe to my meal plan for the week.
I love this recipe. I might actually be able to get some veggies into my husband with this.
I love that you used zucchini! I am going to have to try this and sneak in that extra veggie. :)
I can’t make lasagna to save my life but I’m going to have to try yours!
Jennifer sikora says
I have been looking for the perfect lasagna recipe for a healthier version and this looks like the one I will be using. It looks amazing!
Oh my goodness, I love this recipe. I love veggie anything and would never have thought about putting them in lasagna. What a great recipe. Love it. Thanks for sharing
Yum this sounds awesome. I’ve never had vegetable lasagna before and I think it would be a delicious change!
Liz Mays says
Yum, I would love making this for myself. My boyfriend is a meat-eater but I can live without meat. This would be perfect for me.
Ann Bacciaglia says
This Lasagna looks so delicious and easy to make. I will have to give this recipe a try this weekend. I am sure my kids will love it.
This looks very good! My husband and I love lasagna! We will have to try out this recipe soon. I love that it’s a healthier option too.
This looks really great! I love loading up our dishes with veggies. Keeps us filled up!
I will be making this, however, it is hard to find yellow squash right now. Has anyone used spinach in this to substitut one ingredient or another?