A delicious Portuguese recipe that is made with white meat chicken. This dish creates a delicious sauce that can be mopped up with bread and served over rice, fries, or potatoes. This post contains affiliate links.
How to Make Chicken Mozambique
Since I love to cook foods that represent my Portuguese heritage, I decided to share my recipe for Portuguese Chicken Mozambique. This dish is loaded with lively flavor and tender chicken breast.
If you’re a fan of Shrimp Mozambique, you’ll really enjoy this dish. It’s a much cheaper way to enjoy the spicy flavors of Mozambique sauce, but with chicken instead.
Sides for Chicken Mozambique
The chicken is the star of this dish, so you want to keep the side dish simple. Chicken Mozambique pairs well with white rice or french fries. Either choice is perfect for soaking up those delicious juices consisting of white wine (or beer), garlic, hot sauce and butter!
In addition to that, using a fresh baked portuguese bread roll to wipe up the remaining juices is a MUST. If you don’t live in an area that sells Portuguese bread, be sure to buy some other quality bread rolls to soak up those juices. It’s a shame to let them go to waste!
Here’s the Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken cut in cubes
- 3 packs of Sazon Goya Azafran Seasoning
- 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 full Garlic Clove (whole thing)
- Franks Red Hot Sauce-use as much as you’d like to achieve your desired level of heat
- 8 0z of Portuguese white wine or 8 oz of Beer (no light varieties)
- Rice (side dish)
- Cube your chicken breast
- Mince your garlic
- In an extra large frying pan, or shallow stock pot saute your garlic in your butter on medium heat
- Add in your chicken
- Add your wine
- Once your chicken is starting to look a bit cooked add in your Sazon Goya spices, hot sauce
- Let the dish simmer on medium heat for around 20 mins
- Prepare your rice, and serve this dish with the chicken on top-you can add extra sauce to the rice
We hope you enjoy our Chicken Mozambique Recipe!
Chicken Mozambique - Our Portuguese Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken breast cubed
- 3 packs Sazon Goya Azafran Seasoning
- 1-1/2 sticks butter
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 2 tbsp franks red hot sauce
- 8 oz Portuguese white wine regular beer or cooking wine is okay too
- 1-1/2 cups white rice This is an optional side dish
- Cut chicken breast into cubes
- Mince the garlic clove
- Using an extra large frying pan or shallow stock pot; add the garlic and butter. Saute on medium heat until the garlic begins to turn translucent.
- Add the Chicken and wine
- Continue to cook on medium heat. Once the chicken begins to look cooked on the outside, add the Sazon Goya spices and hot sauce.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Prepare the rice in a separate pot, and top it with the Chicken Mozambique. You can add extra Mozambique sauce from the pan to the rice for a delicious dish!
Don’t forget dessert!
No Portuguese meal is complete without a delicious dessert. May I recommend this Homemade Portuguese Sweet Rice Pudding or Queijadas De Leite (Portuguese Egg Custard Cupcakes).