Chicken Mozambique is a delicious Portuguese meal made with white meat chicken and a zesty, spicy sauce. The delicious sauce is perfect for mopping up with bread and served over rice, fries, or potatoes. This post contains affiliate links.
How to Make Chicken Mozambique
Since I love to cook foods that represent my Portuguese heritage, I decided to share my recipe for Portuguese Chicken Mozambique. This dish is loaded with lively flavor and tender chicken breast.
If you’re a fan of Shrimp Mozambique, you’ll really enjoy this dish. It’s a cheaper way to enjoy the spicy flavors of Mozambique sauce, but with chicken instead.
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 lbs chicken cut in cubes
- 3 packs of Sazon Goya Azafran Seasoning
- 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 3 large garlic cloves
- Franks Red Hot Sauce – use as much as you’d like to achieve your desired level of heat
- 8 oz of Portuguese white wine or 8 oz of Beer (no light varieties)
- Rice (side dish)
- Cube the chicken.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- In an extra-large frying pan or shallow stockpot, saute your garlic and butter together on medium heat until the garlic turns transparent.
- Add the chicken.
- Add the wine or beer.
- Cook on medium heat stirring occasionally. Keep an eye on the chicken.
- Once your chicken begins to look a bit cooked, add the Sazon Goya spices and hot sauce.
- Let the dish simmer on medium-low heat for around 20 mins.
- Prepare the rice in the meantime.
- Chicken Mozambique is done after it has simmered for 20 minutes and the chicken is tender.
This dish is served with the chicken over the rice.
Tip: Add add some extra sauce from the pot to the rice. It tastes amazing!
We hope you enjoy our Chicken Mozambique Recipe!
The chicken is the star of this dish, so you want to keep the side dish simple.
Chicken Mozambique pairs well with white rice or french fries. Either choice is perfect for soaking up those delicious juices consisting of white wine (or beer), garlic, hot sauce, and butter!
In addition to that, using a fresh-baked Portuguese bread roll to wipe up the remaining juices is a MUST.
If you don’t live in an area that sells Portuguese rolls, be sure to buy some other quality bread rolls to soak up those juices. It’s a shame to let them go to waste!
Don’t forget dessert!
No Portuguese meal is complete without a delicious dessert.
May I recommend Portuguese Sweet Rice Pudding or Queijadas De Leite (Portuguese Egg Custard Cupcakes)?
The printable recipe card for Chicken Mozambique is below. This recipe serves 6. You can adjust the servings in the recipe card if needed.
Chicken Mozambique – Our Portuguese Recipe
- Cutting board
- 2 lbs chicken breast cubed
- 3 packs Sazon Goya Azafran Seasoning
- 1-1/2 sticks butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp franks red hot sauce
- 8 oz Portuguese white wine regular beer or cooking wine is okay too
- 1-1/2 cups white rice This is an optional side dish
- Cut chicken into cubes
- Mince the garlic cloves
- Add the garlic and butter to an extra-large frying pan or shallow stockpot
- Saute the garlic and butter on medium heat until the garlic begins to turn translucent.
- Add the Chicken and wine to the pot
- Continue to cook on medium heat. Once the chicken begins to look cooked on the outside, add the Sazon Goya spices and hot sauce.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Prepare the rice in a separate pot, and top it with the Chicken Mozambique. You can add extra Mozambique sauce from the pan to the rice for a delicious dish!