How to Make Your Own Memorial Garden on a Budget
“Thank you LTD for helping make this project a breeze!”
As many of you know, my dad passed away at the early age of 51 on December 13th of last year. It was and has been one of the most difficult things I have ever had to deal with in life. My dad was a tough, but amazing guy with one of the most awesome personalities. He loved to spend time outdoors in his garden so I decided that this year I would make a memorial garden on a budget.
My little budget friendly Memorial Garden is certainly something I can add to each year (God willing) and it will just get better. I am not one to visit cemeteries frequently, so I thought this little area could be a spot of reflection. I spent literally hours online looking for little garden memorial gifts that would look cute, but were affordable.
I was finding beautiful pieces, but sadly they were beyond my budget! I didn’t have $100 for a small stone plaque!
Then, an LTD catalog arrived at my home, and I flipped through it. I remembered I had some credit with them from a blogging project and I started shopping! They literally had everything I needed to create my inexpensive memorial garden for my dad! The best part was for well under $50 I could get multiple items!
I decided to put together my little area near my vegetable garden because it was an area that my dad helped me till one year. He loved the outdoors and would spend hours tending to his grapevines and yard. He was always willing to help or give expertise on his vast knowledge of the outdoors.
- Choose a space. We put our’s near our fence in the partial shade.
- Decide whether you want a border of rocks, a raised bed, or maybe even bricks?
- Create your border. We used pressure treated wood that my dad left behind from an unfinished project. I guess it was fitting that we used something he bought with good intentions?
- Prepare your space. Do you have weeds? If so pull them, and maybe even lay a weed barrier down. We filled our raised garden bed with rich soil we created from composting our vegetables.
- Plan out your flowers. We you be adding flowers, rocks, or mulch? We added a few colorful pops of flowers to make the area warm and inviting, and then we added mulch.
- Set out your memorial garden decor. We have a stone, bench, stake, and little garden book.
- After that, make sure you like the look of your creation, and enjoy it! We will be adding new flowers to our’s every year, and plan on maybe even expanding it. As for maintenance, I am sure we will also have to keep any eye out for stray weeds.
I am totally not just saying this, but LTD Commodities has the cheapest In Loving Memory garden stones, plaques, and more! For a tiny fraction of the price of others, I was able to get great items and create my little raised bed on the cheap.
- Memorial Garden Stakes
- Garden Memorial Book
- Solar Memorial Accent Bench
- In Loving Memory Garden Stone
I also purchased a 24″ Americana Star Decor barn star for my home. I needed a new star and this is perfect for Memorial Day, or everyday really! For less than $13, it is my kind of deal!
I hope you are inspired by my post on How to Make Your Own Memorial Garden on a Budget. I am hoping this space reminds me about how special my dad truly was.