Thank you Gorton’s Seafood for sponsoring this low-carb, keto-friendly recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to bake up! All views expressed are that of our own.
Happy New Year! Welcome to 2019! I really cannot believe how fast 2018 flew by so this year I need to make it a point to savor every moment. I don’t do resolutions, but I do have some personal goals I want to crush.
Last year, I was able to lose 32 pounds. But, after living it up for pretty much ALL of November and December– I gained ten of those pounds back! YIKES! So, I am returning to a low-carb, keto diet to get back in the groove of a low-sugar diet.
The folks at Gorton’s Seafood have plenty of nutritious fish options for the low-carb lifestyle. They also have this Simply Bake Shrimp Classic Scampi which fits into my low-carb menu plan.
I love that Gorton’s always is evolving with seafood options for every lifestyle and family member. This frozen shrimp really does have the perfect flavor and seasoning. Each box comes with two bags that you “simply bake” in the oven. These are perfect for pouring over pasta, or zoodles. I also have a cooking hack for them below!
Eggplant is perfect for the keto diet because it bakes up nicely, holds plenty of toppings, and is nutritious! Most importantly, it is low in net carbs!
Tips for Making Keto Eggplant Pizza
How to bake eggplant?
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake one side for 5 minutes, and flip and top with sauce, cheese, and toppings.
Best Cheese for Keto Eggplant Pizzas?
For this recipe, I decided to go with non-smoked provolone cheese. I did this for 3 reasons. 1- I love the taste of baked provolone, 2- it fits perfectly over each eggplant slice, 3- it has less than 1 carb per slice. You really cannot go wrong with using this cheese!
How long to Bake Eggplant Pizzas?
For this recipe, I cut my eggplant slices from a medium-sized eggplant at about 1/4″ each slice. This made a 16 slices and I froze the rest. I baked each pizza for a total of 10 minutes. 5 minutes without the toppings, and 5 minutes with the toppings. I added the shrimp during the last minutes to prevent it from drying out.
Can You Freeze Eggplant?
As mentioned earlier, I froze half the slices of these eggplants (pre-pizza). Jared and I both ate 4 pizzas for our meal which was plenty filling. Since I don’t like to waste food I froze them by baking the other 8 slices for 5 minutes and then adding them to a freezer bag once cooled. If you do not partially cook them, they get mushy and awful when you try to use them the next time.
Cooking hack for Gorton’s Simply Bake Shrimp:
If you need your shrimp quickly, you can open one of the oven-safe bags and place it in a small skillet over medium heat. The product takes about 5 minutes to fully cook, and the consistency does not change.
Should I add fresh basil before or after cooking pizza?
You can add fresh basil before or after, but you will get the most vibrant and robust flavor adding it after. Simply rinse basil leaves, pat dry, and then slice them. Sprinkle over finished eggplant pizza.
As you can see these pizzas baked up to a delicious perfection.
I love how the mushroom, shrimp, and tomato sauce paired so well on the eggplant. This is a perfectly balanced keto meal because you have your veggies, fat, and a protein.
Net Carbs in 4 Eggplant Pizzas:
I put the dinner serving size for these pizzas at four per person, with a total of 8 (serves 2). Each pizza serving (4 slices) has a total of 24.5 net carbs or 6 net carbs each. To calculate net carbs, subtract total carbs from fiber.
Get the printable Keto Eggplant Pizza Recipe with Shrimp below! Enjoy!
Keto Eggplant Pizza Recipe with Shrimp
- 8 slices eggplant sliced circular, a little over 1/4 inch in thickness.
- 3/4 cup low-sugar marinara Rao's Marinara Sauce is our fave
- 8 slices provolone cheese Can use any cheese you really like
- 8-10 whole basil leaves Sliced thinly, or kept whole
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in halves
- 1/4 cup whole white mushrooms *can keep whole or chop
- 1 tsp Italian herbs to sprinkle on each pizza
- 1 package Gorton's Simply Bake Shrimp Classic Scampi *Can bake or pan fry ingredients until fully cooked. (about 5 minutes over medium/high heat)
- Prepare shrimp according to package instructions. An alternate way to cook that I have personally tested myself is to add the package to a medium skillet and cook over medium/high heat for 5 minutes until shrimp are pink.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit for the eggplant pizzas.
- Slice eggplant in 1/4" thick circles, and pat them dry.
- Add them to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cook one side for 5 minutes and flip.
- Once you flip, add a tablespoon worth of marinara to each, 1 slice of provolone, some tomato, mushroom, and dry herbs.
- Bake for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add shrimp during last cooking minute.
- Top with fresh basil and enjoy warm.