Valentine’s Day Donuts Hack
Who doesn’t love a pretty dipped donut? Sometimes when I head to our local bakery I purposely ask for the sprinkle ones because I want to take pictures of them. I love the way the frosting carefully drips down the donut. I love the sprinkles, and overall feeling a sprinkle or “jimmy” donut gives me. Heck, I even have donut decor on my desk–no joke!
Since sprinkles are me and my sons’ favorite part of a donut I wanted to share my top secret donut hack. I love to use store bought donuts, and dip them into melted canned frosting. It is less time consuming, and produces only the prettiest frosted donuts ever. Seriously, this frosting is almost perfection. I admit, I was good and didn’t try one, but the smells killed me!
5- Minute Iced Donut Hack
After dipping all my donuts into the frosting, it was time to get to the fun part- decorating. Now, if you didn’t know this, the frosting hardens pretty quickly so if you want to skip the icing step and go from the frosted part to sprinkles you need to sprinkle each in-between.
I was feeling pretty youthful and tried to make little royal icing hearts. It definitely has a learning curve to it which requires some better tools and patience. I think the hearts I made are recognizable as hearts? In reality, this is only the first time I have tried to really create with royal icing. It did not goes as poorly as I imagined.
I then added some candies to them, you may recall these from the DIY White Chocolate Valentine’s Day Candies I made last week.
After that, I allowed them to cure a bit more (they will never be rock hard), then I put them carefully into a container for my kids and husband to enjoy later.
I really think my family will enjoy these DIY Valentine’s Day Donuts Hack.
If you are feeling the love in the air, you might want to make a batch for the special loved ones in your life. Enjoy!
Love is in the Air with this DIY Valentine's Day Donuts Hack
- 1 dozen Glazed donuts
- Pink Icing *I used Wilton
- Red Icing *I used Wilton
- Valentine's Day Candies- assorted types
- 1 container store bought vanilla frosting melted for 30 seconds at medium heat in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Prepare a large baking sheet with a baker's cooling rack- the rack will help the donuts drip if needed.
- Gather your supplies, and make sure your frosting is melted for 30 seconds at medium heat in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Dip each donut face side down into the frosting, pull up, twist, and add the donuts to the rack; repeat until they are all done.
- To draw hearts on the donuts use your icing.
- Be sure to go very light on it or it will flood out.
- Additionally, you could add your sprinkles directly to the white frosting after each dipping session. The point is, these donuts are suppose to be quick, cute and EASY! Have fun, and get creative!
- Allow donuts to harden for about 1 hour.