Colorful Mermaid Party Donuts that can be ready in minutes. These semi-homemade blue & purple dipped donuts are so easy even kids can help make them! This post contains affiliate links.
Are you or your daughters obsessed with all things mermaid? I know my two daughters LOVE the fantasy of being a mermaid. They enjoy binge watching mermaid shows like H2O and have their own mermaid tail blankets and dolls. I guess I can’t blame them because when I was little I did love Disney’s The Little Mermaid too.
It all started with that catchy tune Under the Sea.
These days the majestic beauty of mermaids, seashells, and sparkly hues of blue and purple are just so fun! My kids have requested mermaid themed parties complete with tropical drinks, candy seashells, and graham cracker sand cupcakes.
I have been wanting to make some mermaid donuts after the success of my Unicorn Donuts but I always put it on the backburner. But, last weekend, I let my girl help me make these super quick and easy colorful Mermaid Donuts.
Ok, so confession time- while I can bake my own donuts thanks to this nifty little baking device, I leave the baking to the pros and buy store-bought donuts. This makes creating these mermaid donuts super fast!
Then, I use store-bought vanilla icing, and these neon food colorings for the vibrant purple and blue colors.
My friend Dawn at Cutefetti gifted me these gorgeous mermaid inspired sprinkles from Etsy, but you can find an assortment on Amazon too. This mix just screams pure mermaid perfection! It contains little bits of what looks like faux sea glass, jimmies, flat discs, and shimmer pearls. It is so beautiful! You can find it here.
I also added a fun touch to these donuts thanks to some candy wafers and a fun mold like this shell mold. Did you know that making DIY candy shells is quick and easy? These Wilton Vanilla Candy Wafers allowed me to make these shells in less than 15 minutes. Unlike real white chocolate, these wafer firm up super quick in the fridge! Simply melt, pour, scrape the excess away, and allow to chill. When you pop them out of the silicon mold they are perfectly shaped!
Aren’t these super cute against the vibrant purple and blue colors?
Check out what you will need below to make these Mermaid Party Donuts. This recipe should take you no longer than 20 minutes from start to finish to create 1 dozen sparkly Mermaid Donuts.
Perhaps you can enjoy them at a mermaid party, or birthday party? Get inspired with more Mermaid Birthday Party Ideas from Finding Zest. These Mermaid Tail Marshmallows are really cute and easy to create!
You might also love these Easy Unicorn Donuts too!
I find the best baking supplies to make these at Michaels Arts & Crafts!
Colorful Mermaid Party Donuts with Candy Shells in Minutes!
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 12 store-bought donuts
- 3 tablespoons Sprinkles Mix
- 16 ounces vanilla frosting divided to how many colors you choose*
- ⅓ cup Wilton Vanilla Candy Wafers melted
- neon purple & blue food coloring
- In a microwave, using 30-second intervals, melt vanilla candy wafers until creamy.
- Pour into the shell mold and place in the refrigerator until solid. (about 8 mins)- pop out shells and set aside.
- Divide the frosting into two microwave safe bowls and melt for 30 seconds or until creamy.
- Drop 3 drops of each coloring into the melted frosting, and mix each.
- Dip each donut into the color of your choice and place them on a wire cooling rack to drip.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles, and add a candy shell to each.
- Allow to cure for 15 minutes or longer.