Mini Chocolate Cream Pies Made with Fillo Dough Shells
A couple of days ago I posted some delicious Grilled Peach and Blueberry Fruit Tarts made with the oh, so delicate fillo dough crust. Well, after having such success with those, I decided to make a batch of Mini Chocolate Cream Pies made with fillo dough shells. It was National Chocolate Pudding Day a couple of weeks ago so why not?
To get me motivated, the folks at Kozy Shack sent me a cute little box filled with little trinkets to celebrate Chocolate Pudding Day. I honestly had no idea such a day existed, but sometimes I get a little hungry and “will work for food.”They sent me some of their original Chocolate Pudding Cups and of I went to the kitchen.
I knew I wanted to make some sort of spin on the classic chocolate cream pie but I am not a huge fan of making full sized pies. It seemed much funner, and way easier to make mini pies. I had never really worked with fillo dough beforehand, but I do have a few tips for working with it on this post.
The end result of my Mini Chocolate Cream Pies was a delicate, flaky, buttery crust filled with Kozy Shack Chocolate Pudding, fresh whipped cream, and chocolate chips. After photographing my first batch, I called my neighbor over to try them, and she loved them so much she made them for her Fourth of July party the next day!!
Here is what you will need to make Mini Chocolate Cream Pies Made with Fillo Dough Shells:
- 1 package of fillo dough
- 1 package of Kozy Shack Chocolate Pudding *found in the refrigerated section
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Real Whipped Cream Recipe here*, or store bought whipped cream.
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- Whip up a batch of fresh, sweetened whipped cream; refrigerate *skip this step if you are using store bought.
- Moisten a kitchen towel with water to keep fillo dough sheets from drying out. You will want to cover the shell in between folding and buttering.
- Set out your cupcake tins which the fillo dough squares will bake in.
- Fold one piece of fillo dough in half, and then in half again, and lightly coat the bottom with butter. Insert the square into your cupcake tin, and gently press it it. Carefully butter the edges, and repeat.
- Bake the shells for 12-15 minutes.
- Once shells are cooled, and 1 tablespoon of chocolate pudding to each
- Top each pudding filled shell with a dollop of whipped cream, and a few chocolate chips.
As you can see, these Mini Chocolate Cream Pies Made with Fillo Dough Shells look awesome, but the best part is they taste even better!! I totally suggest you try these for your family. You can find Kozy Shack Pudding in the refrigerated pudding and jello section of your supermarket.