Tender white cod fillets are oven-baked with a topping of buttery breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and spices. This fish is both easy to prepare and tastes delicious. Learn how to make this easy baked fish recipe below.
Cod is one of my favorite fish to prepare, and cook for my family. I love going to the seafood market and choosing my fillets. Find out how to make this simple and delicious recipe below.
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Cod fillets – These may need to be cut into smaller pieces
- Large lemon – Half of it will be sliced into thin slices. The other half will be squeezed for juice.
- Fresh parsley – chopped
- Butter – cubed
- Panko bread crumbs
- Salt & pepper
- Parmesan cheese – shredded
Equipment and Supplies
The following equipment and supplies are needed for making this recipe.
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Cutting board
- Conventional oven
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut your cod fillets into 3″-4″ sized portions.
- Line them on the baking sheet with at least an inch of space between them.
- Season the cod fillets with salt & pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of each fish portion evenly.
- Add a cube of butter to the top of each fillet.
- Sprinkle Parmesan over each fillet, and finish with a thin slice of lemon over each fish piece.
- Squeeze the remaining lemon juice over the fish portions.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Fish will be white (on the sides), and visibly flaky with a light golden brown topping when done.
This is an easy recipe to make, but there are a few tips to keep in mind.
Fish fillets of different thicknesses will have different cooking times. Therefore, when verifying the doneness of your fish, always check the thickest piece. This will ensure that you don’t end up with any that are undercooked.
Did you know that fresh fish does not have a fishy odor? If it does, I would kindly pass and head to a new store!
When purchasing your cod fillets, you can ask the seafood attendant to slice you the loin (thicker) sections of the fillets. That’s what we usually do because the thinner pieces dry out when baking. Most of the time, they’re happy to slice it per your request.
Storing Baked Fish
Baked fish is better if eaten fresh out of the oven. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator.
Place the fish into a sealed airtight container and place it on a shelf inside the refrigerator. It can be stored there for up to 24 hours.
Reheat refrigerated fish in the microwave on a microwave safe plate until hot.
The printable recipe card for Lemon Parmesan Baked Cod Fish is below. This recipe serves 4 people, but you can adjust the servings in the card if needed.
Lemon-Parmesan Baked Cod Fish
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- Cutting board
- 2 pounds cod fillets *These may need to be cut smaller
- 1 large lemon reserve 2 tablespoons of juice, and slice half the lemon thinly.
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter cubed
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut your cod fillets into 3"-4" good-sized portions, line them on the baking sheet with at least an inch of space between them.
- Season fish fillets with salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of each fish portion evenly.
- Add cubed butter pieces evenly over fish fillets.
- Sprinkle Parmesan over each fish portion, and finish with a thin slice of lemon over each fish piece. Squeeze the remaining lemon juice over the fish portions.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Fish will be white (on the sides), and visibly flaky with a light golden brown topping
Paul Carlson says
recipe looks good, can’t print it out.
Delicious!! I added garlic also. I put garlic on everything. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, so much for stopping by!