In this post, we’ll show you how to make colorful Unicorn Chex™ Mix. This dry snack mix is loaded with sweet and crunchy elements to make it shine. Perfect for small celebrations, this snack mix will make your loved ones smile. This post contains affiliate links, and the kit was gifted to us by General Mills. All views expressed are that of our own.
If you’re hosting a Unicorn Party you might want to consider making this colorful, fun mix which features Corn Chex™, Bugles™ corn snacks, and Wilton candy wafers. Colorful sprinkles finish off the overall fun look of this sweet and salty snack mix. It would be the perfect addition to this Unicorn Candy Board.
Before starting this simple recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- Corn Chex™
- Bugles™ corn snacks
- white chocolate morsels
- Wilton candy melts in white, purple, blue, and pink
- colorful sprinkles
- sanding sugar
- colorful marshmallows or marshmallow pole twist candy
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- 4 microwave-safe bowls – These are to melt the different colors of melts in the microwave.
- 1 medium-sized microwave-safe bowl – For melting the white chocolate morsels.
- 4 metal spoons – Spoons help mix the melted candy. They also will be used to drizzle the melted candy over the cereal.
- 4 forks – To swizzle the melted candy over the cereal.
- wax paper – This is helpful to line your baking sheets. It will make cleanup slightly easier since this melted candy makes a mess.
- large rimmed baking sheet – I prefer to use a baking sheet to spread out the Chex™ and make sure they all get some colored candy.
- small rimmed baking sheet – I used one for dipping the Bugles. These were slightly more challenging since I dipped them in candy and then sanding sugar.
- disposable food-safe gloves – While not a deal breaker, these would be so helpful when you toss the Chex™ with the initial white candy base. Also great for dipping the Bugles.
- zippered storage bags – I store my fully set mix in zippered bags. This will keep it fresh for 2 weeks when stored in a non-humid environment.
This recipe is easy to make if you know the right tips and tricks! Here are my tips for ensuring your Unicorn Chex™ Mix comes out perfectly.
If you want to coat your Chex™ Mix with powdered sugar or prepare it with peanut butter, simply follow these recipes for guidance.
- Leprechaun Crunch – prepared with powdered sugar.
- Reindeer Chow – prepared with chocolate and peanut butter.
Melting Candy/Chocolate in the Microwave
You do not need a double boiler to melt candy wafers, or the white chocolate morsels. In fact, it can easily be done in the microwave. Before you get started, make sure you have separate microwave-safe bowls for each color, and an equal amount of spoons.
A clean, and dry work area is also key since melting wafers and chocolate can seize and harden with the slightest amount of moisture present.
In your medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl, microwave 1 cup of the white chocolate morsels uncovered on High 30 seconds, stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and smooth when stirred. You will use this bowl to heat the remaining white morsels.
Only microwave each colored candy melt right before you are ready to use them because they set rather quickly. Designate one spoon per color to stir inbetween each color.
A piece of wax paper on your counter can keep it neat as you prepare each color you will need a place to set the spoons.
This recipe features cut up pieces of marshmallow pole candy. However, if you are unable to use that, you can add mini rainbow colored marshmallows.
You can add additional candies or mix-ins to this Unicorn Party Mix.
- Jelly Beans
- pretzel pieces
- Lucky Charms Marshmallows
- Fruit Loops
- Rainbow belt candy
If you want to store your Unicorn Chex™ Mix, just follow these easy steps.
- Once the candy has 100% cured and is set to the touch it is time to store your mix. Add it to a one gallon sized zippered bag. I store all my Chex™ snack mixes this way and they typically last for 2 weeks on the counter at a non-humid room temperature. You could also use food storage containers with airtight lids.
Follow the recipe below to make Unicorn Chex™ Mix! This recipe makes SERVINGS, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Unicorn Chex™ Mix
- 4 microwave safe bowls
- 4 large spoons
- 4 large forks
- wax paper
- large baking sheet
- small baking sheet
- disposable food-safe gloves
- zippered storage bags
- 6 cups Rice Chex™ or Corn Chex™ cereal
- 3 cups white chocolate morsels melted
- 1½ cups Bugles™ corn snacks
- ¾ cup melting wafers ¼ each of pink, purple, and blue melts, melted
- ½ cup sanding sugar in white, pink -your color scheme choice
- 3 tablespoons colored sprinkles assorted colors to match your mix
- 1 cup marshmallow pole candy cut into pieces you can also use colorful marshmallows
- Line your baking sheets with wax paper. Set out extra wax paper at your work space for the spoon rests. gather your microwave-safe bowls, and measure out chocolate morsels and candy wafers. Add Corn Chex™ and Bugles™ corn snacks to your baking sheets.
- In your small microwave-safe bowl, microwave 1 cup of the white chocolate morsels uncovered on High 30 seconds, stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and smooth when stirred.
- Dip each Bugles™ corn snacks into melted chocolate, and coat outside completely, allowing excess coating to drip off. Add colored sanding sugar to each snack to coat completely. Shake off any excess, and repeat until done. Vary colors to make a colorful mix.
- Add remaining 2 cups of white chocolate baking morsels to your microwave-safe bowl. with remaining melted chips; microwave uncovered on High for 30 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and smooth when stirred. Once melted, pour chocolate mixture over the cereal and coat using gloved hands. Allow chocolate to harden, about 20 minutes.
- In small microwave-safe bowl, add one color of candy melts. Microwave uncovered on Medium power for 30 seconds, then in 15-second increments, until melted; stir until smooth. Swizzle this melted color onto the candy using your spoon or a fork. Evenly swizzle over the entire pan of cereal pieces. Repeat the melting process and coating process for each color until they are all melted and swizzled over the cereal. Once cereal is fully coated in various colors, allow candy to set for 20 minutes.
- Once set, gently break apart the candy coated cereal pieces. Add in the marshmallows, sprinkles and any additional mix-ins desired. Store set unicorn mix in an airtight zippered storage bag.
Leave a Reply