A sweet vidalia onion is double-battered with both dry and wet coating and then air fried until crispy perfection. The Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker makes preparing a homemade Blooming Onion Blossom a tasty breeze. This post contains affiliate links.
The Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker is a great way to make restaurant-quality onion blossoms at home. With a little practice, you’ll be able to create a delicious homemade onion blossoms/blooming onions at home. If you’re looking for homemade onion blossoms are not overly greasy or salted this gadget and recipe are for you!
My kids loved this onion which we served with thousand island dressing. You can use any sauce you prefer, but for us this was a nice pairing. While these onions are exactly like a deep-fried restaurant onion they are pretty satifying and a slightly healthier alternative.
Onion Blossom Ingredients
Vidalia onions are a sweet onion variety that is perfect for onion blossoms. The onion might need to have a layer removed if it is too large to fit into the onion slicer.
All-purpose flour is combined with the Old Bay seasoning, Cajun seasoning, sea salt, and Italian seasoning to create a flavorful coating for the onion blossoms.
Eggs are used to make the egg wash for the onion blossoms. They are whisked together with the milk to create a sticky coating that will help the breading adhere to the onion blossoms.
Avocado oil is used to spray the onion blossoms before frying. The oil will help to prevent the onion blossoms from sticking to the pan and will also help to create a crispy exterior.
How to Make an Onion Blossom at Home
Preheat the air fryer to 400 F.
Add the spices and flour to the Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker.
Cut off the stem and peel the onion. Place the onion root side down in the Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker and cut it into petals. Place the onion in a bowl of hot water for 30 seconds to open the petals.
Shake the onion in the Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker to coat it in the dry batter; remove dry batter from the breader, but do not throw it out–you will need it again.
Whisk together the egg and milk mixture. Shake the onion in the Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker to coat it in the wet batter; remove the wet batter and add back the dry batter.
Shake the onion in the Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker to coat it in the dry batter again.
Spray the onion with your favorite cooking spray.
Air fry the onion for 15-18 minutes, or until the petals are crispy and golden brown.
Core the center of the onion with the Onion Blossom Maker tool.
Serve the onion with your favorite dipping sauce. We loved using thousand island dressing which paired deliciously.
Homemade Onion Blossom Tips
- Use a ¾ pound round (not flat) onions for the best results.
- Sweet vidalia onions are the tastiest variety for homemade onion blossoms.
- Make sure to slice the onion with the guide while evenly so that the petals cook evenly.
- Serve the onion blossoms immediately for the best flavor and texture.
- If you do not have an air fryer, you can bake your onion on a baking sheet. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and bake the onion blossoms for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
No matter how you choose to make them, onion blossoms are a delicious and impressive appetizer that everyone will love.
If you would like to purchase an Onion Blossom Maker be sure to head on over to Amazon.
Air Fryer Onion Blossom
- Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker
- Air fryer
- cutting board & knife
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F.
- Add the spices & flour to the Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker.
- Cut off 1/4 of the stem from the onion & peel it. Place the onion root side down in the Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker. Use the maker as a guide to make all the necessary cuts.
- Remove onion from maker and place it in a heat-safe bowl. Pour hot water over the blossom petals to open (about 30 seconds); gently pat dry.
- Place the onion in the Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker & shake it to coat. Remove the onion from the dry batter.
- Whisk together the egg & milk mixture. Remove the dry batter from the unit & add the wet batter. Place the onion back into the Better Breader Onion Blossom Maker and shake.
- Remove the wet batter from the unit & add back the dry batter. Shake the onion again to coat it in the dry batter; remove.
- Spray the onion with cooking spray.
- Air fry the onion for 15-18 minutes, or until the petals are crispy and golden brown.
- Use the Onion Blossom Maker tool to core the center of the onion.
- Serve the onion with your favorite dipping sauce.