We are al fresco Chicken Sausage Ambassadors. All delicious views expressed are that of our own.
So many of us are trying to eat fewer fats, fewer calories, and more veggies. Today’s recipe is inspired by just that. Have you ever tried a Sweet Potato with Buffalo Chicken Sausage? I admit this recipe was inspired by the heavily caloric buffalo chicken dip and meal prep. My husband and I use to eat chicken and sweet potatoes seasoned with hot sauce after the gym religiously. However, like most things in life, we got sick of the combination.
I thought to myself…how could I make this tastier without a TON of calories and junk? I wanted the meal to be healthy, fun, and of course delicious. The final creation was only The Best Baked Sweet Potato with Buffalo Chicken Sausage.
Seriously, this meal was easy, delicious, and still post workout friendly.
Since protein is a high commodity after a good workout, I wanted to make sure these Buffalo Chicken stuffed sweet potatoes were well-balanced. Just a sprinkle of cheese on each, a swizzle of non-fat Greek yogurt and a serving of al fresco Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage would make these potatoes POP.
al fresco does make a Buffalo Style with Blue Cheese Chicken Sausage, but my store was all out so I improvised with the Roasted Garlic flavor. I love all their flavors which are available in your grocer’s refrigerated sausage section.
These mealy Baked Sweet Potatoes with Buffalo Chicken Sausage were amazing!!
They had some of the same flavors of buffalo chicken dip or wings but much less fat!!! These sausages are made with lean, skinless chicken meat and contain 70% less fat than pork sausage (USDA). They are not salt-laden, and have 30% less sodium than pork sausage. Plus, they are fully cooked so you really can heat them up quickly!!
Don’t these stuffed sweet potatoes look awesome? They were so good! I cannot wait to make them again!!!
Get the printable recipe for The Best Baked Sweet Potato with Buffalo Chicken Sausage Ever below!
The Best Baked Sweet Potato with Buffalo Chicken Sausage
- 1 package al fresco Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage divide among the four potatoes
- 1/4 cup red hot sauce
- 4 medium sweet potatoes divide among the four potatoes
- 4 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt divide among the four potatoes
- 2 tablepoons diced red onion divide among the four potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped Green onion divide among the four potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Gorgonzola Cheese crumbles divide among the four potatoes
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Carefully prick holes into each of the 4 potatoes. It does not have to be deep. Just enough to help for venting. Place potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 45-60 mins or until tender. Add chicken sausage to a frying pan, and pan fry until golden brown for 3-5 minutes *these are fully cooked** Pan-fry the chicken sausage until done. Once done, remove from heat and toss with the red hot sauce, set aside. Slice each potato halfway and fill each evenly with sausage. Remove potatoes from oven (using oven mitts). Add red onion, and cheese, scallions- bake at 350 for 3 mins. Remove from oven (using oven mitts), and top with Greek dressing. Potatoes will be hot, so cool a little and enjoy!