In this post, we’ll show you how to make this Gluten Free French Toast which is also dairy-free. This delicious, custardy French toast recipe is so easy and delicious to make for your next brunch.
Recipe updated on 1/22/2021
Before starting this recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- gluten free bread
- almond milk
- refined coconut oil (or butter). Refined coconut oil does not taste or smell like coconuts. However, you can use the regular version if you do not mind the taste of coconuts.
- vanilla extract
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- large mixing bowl
This recipe is easy to make if you know the right tips and tricks! Here are my tips for ensuring your Gluten Free French Toast comes out perfectly.
For this recipe, we used Canyon Bakehouse bread. You can use whichever gluten free bread your family prefers. You will need around 10 slices for this recipe. If you do not have a gluten allergy, you can most certainly use traditional sliced bread or Texas Toast.
If coconut oil is not readily available for you to use, ghee, butter, or lard can also be used. However, depending on your lifestyle, they might not fit your diet. Vegetable-based margarine or shortening is a good alternative if you prefer to not use dairy.
While this recipe was created for dairy-free people, you most certainly can use cow’s milk if you choose. They are interchangeable for this recipe and measure cup by cup. Oat or cashew milk can also be used in place of the almond milk.
If you want to store your Gluten Free French Toast, just follow these easy steps.
This can be prepared, cooked and cooled to be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Simply place any extra toast in an airtight container and reheat in the microwave to warm and serve with syrup or powdered sugar.
Additionally this gluten and dairy free French toast recipe can be frozen. To freeze, cook the French toast and allow it to fully cool. Place cooked slices on a baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours. Once slices are frozen, move them to a zippered freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 30 days time.
To heat, simply microwave and serve with syrup or powdered sugar.
Follow the recipe below to make Gluten Free French Toast! This recipe makes 12 slices, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Gluten Free French Toast Made with Almond Milk
- Mixing bowl
- 10 slices gluten free bread
- 1½ cups almond milk I prefer Almond Breeze Unsweetened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar for serving
- ½ cup real maple syrup for serving
- Heat up a large frying pan or skillet to medium heat. Allow one tablespoon of coconut oil to melt (or butter) if dairy is okay.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract
- Dip your bread slices into the mixture and make sure both sides are coated with batter.
- Line pan with battered slices and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown. French toast should feel slightly firm when pressed on each side. Repeat, and use your extra butter/oil for the next 5 slices
- Garnish French Toast with powdered sugar and maple syrup.