Chicken salad with walnuts and grapes is a sweet and savory delight that is perfect for a light lunch or dinner. This crowd-pleasing salad is perfect for using leftover or freshly grilled chicken!
Chicken salad with grapes is a classic American dish that is perfect for a light lunch or dinner. It is made with shredded chicken, grapes, celery, mayonnaise, and other spices. The grapes add a sweetness and tartness to the salad, while the celery provides a crunch. The mayonnaise helps to bind everything together and gives the salad a creamy texture. Chicken salad with grapes can be served on bread, crackers, or lettuce leaves. It can also be used as a filling for sandwiches or wraps.
Lately, I have been trying to eat lower-carb lunches. I am a self-proclaimed “carb-aholic” that has been sticking to higher protein meals. Let me tell you, it is not so easy!! Surprisingly, even my picky kids appreciated this quick meal that is perfect for busy school nights.
Ingredients for Chunky Chicken Salad
- Chicken – The chicken is the main protein in the salad. It provides a savory flavor and texture.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – The olive oil helps to cook the chicken evenly and prevents it from sticking to the pan.
- Seasonings – The seasonings add flavor to the chicken.
- Celery – The celery adds a crunch and a slightly bitter flavor to the salad.
- Walnuts – The walnuts add a nutty flavor and texture to the salad.
- Onion – The onion adds a sweetness and a slight bite to the salad.
- Grapes – The green grapes add a sweetness and a tartness to the salad.
- Dried Cranberries – The cranberries add a sweetness and a tartness to the salad.
- Mayonnaise – The mayonnaise helps to bind the salad together and gives it a creamy texture.
When all these ingredients are combined, they create a delicious and satisfying chicken salad that is perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
How to Make Chicken Salad With Grapes and Walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, grapes, walnuts, celery, onion, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine until well-mixed.
- Serve on bread, crackers, or lettuce leaves.
Chicken Salad Variations
- You can use any type of chicken you like, such as cooked chicken breast, chicken thighs, or rotisserie chicken. Sometimes I mass-batch grill my chicken which works out nicely for this salad.
- If you don’t have any grapes, you can use another type of fruit, such as apples, pears, or berries.
- You can also add other ingredients to your chicken salad, such as dried raisins, chopped pecans, or shredded cheese.
Grapes provide an extra boost of moisture and sweetness to a chicken salad. Make sure you at least slice the grapes in half. If they’re large grapes, it’s better to cut then into quarters instead.
How to Store Chicken Salad
- Refrigerate chicken salad immediately after making it. Do not leave it at room temperature for more than two hours.
- Store chicken salad in an airtight container. This will help to prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Chicken salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- If you are not going to eat the chicken salad within three days, you can freeze it. Freeze it in an airtight container for up to two months.
When you are ready to eat the chicken salad, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Do not thaw it at room temperature.
More Chicken Salad Recipes
Chicken Salad with Grapes, Cranberries, & Walnuts Recipe
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tbsps sweet onion diced
- 1 cup green or red grapes sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 lbs white meat chicken breast cubed
- 1 tablespoon EVOO *to pan- fry chicken
- 3/4 cup Hellmann’s Mayo
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Season the chicken breast with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add oil to a medium skillet, and then chicken breast.
- Pan-fry seasoned chicken for 7-10 minutes until clear juices run free.
- In a large bowl, add chicken,grapes, cranberries, walnuts, onions, celery, and mayonnaise.
- Toss all ingredients until combined.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to chill.