Super moist, jumbo bakery-style Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins are probably the best chocolate muffins you will find! The best part is they contain absolutely no oils, and less sugar!
Thank you, Delta® Greek Yogurt for sponsoring this recipe post. All delicious views expressed are our own.
If you are wanting to bake up 6 perfectly moist, dense, fluffy muffins–this recipe is for you! Made with wholesome ingredients like Delta® Greek Yogurt and a little brown sugar–this recipe is amazing!
The best part is, they are not overly sweet, and they freeze well! I can always appreciate a muffin recipe that can be stored in the freezer for days when I might want a baked good.
Best Greek Yogurt for Baking
When it comes to the science of baking, making nutritious swaps is possible with ingredients like whole wheat flour, applesauce, and Greek yogurt. Most people assume Greek yogurt is simply a breakfast or health food, but it is so much more!
It can easily be substituted for mayonnaise or sour cream in traditional recipes and dips, added to soups for extra creaminess and protein, and makes a great marinade for meat. In fact, we will be sharing a chicken recipe soon that uses Delta® Greek Yogurt as a coating for flavor and moistness.
However, not all Greek yogurt is created equally. We love Delta® Greek Yogurt because it is authentic and delicious. Did you know that it is made by a Greek company with 70 years of yogurt making experience? It’s like no other Greek yogurt in the US because Delta has a patented method that makes their yogurt thick and creamy, without adding in any thickening agents, just like it’s made in Greece.
They also use real Greek yogurt cultures from the island of Crete. These cultures have been used by Greek yogurt makers for hundreds of years and they make Delta® Greek Yogurt taste less bitter/sour than other Greek yogurts.
I love how their flavors are all natural, contain no GMOs, preservatives, artificial growth hormones, sweeteners, or artificial flavors. They are also naturally gluten-free and contain 30% of an adult’s daily protein needs in just one 5.3oz cup of plain Delta yogurt!
Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins
Since we love chocolate, we wanted to share this tasty recipe that is lightened up when compared to recipes like our Jumbo Pumpkin Muffins.
This recipe uses no white sugar, no oil, butter, or white flour. Check out all the ingredients you will need below.
Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins ingredients
- ripe bananas – the riper, the better!
- whole wheat flour
- light brown sugar
- baking soda
- unsweetened apple sauce
- 0% Vanilla Delta® Greek Yogurt
- vanilla extract
- semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Dutch process cocoa powder
Tips for perfect muffins
Spray your muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. If you do not have spray, use shortening to grease the pan generously.
Use chocolate chunks for a gooier chocolate experience. Add 3-4 additional chunks to the tops of the muffins for added effect & taste.
Ripe, speckled bananas are best because they will help add natural sweetness to the muffins.
Quality Greek yogurt like Delta® Greek Yogurt in vanilla flavor is a must! If you use watery yogurt, your muffins will not rise and will have a depressed center.
Unsweetened applesauce is preferred and part of the oil substitute.
Cocoa powder that is sweetened will not work. Dutch processed is the best because it is neutral and will not react with baking soda, which these muffins require.
A potato masher will work well to get your bananas (2) mashed to the perfect consistency.
Once dry ingredients are whisked, a wooden spoon is all you need to gently combine the ingredients. Do not overmix to prevent flat muffins.
Storing these Greek Yogurt Muffins
Since your ingredients are fully cooked, these muffins can stay at room temperature for storing. They last up to 3 days once baked and kept tightly covered. I do recommend freezing any leftovers for best taste and future enjoyment. However, these are so good that they are likely to fly out of the tin as soon as they are cooled!
To warm, heat muffins in the microwave for up to 25 seconds to heat the chocolate chunks. There is nothing as tasty as melted chocolate pieces in a jumbo, bakery-style double chocolate muffin.
Ripe Banana Recipes to Try Today
Thank you, Delta® Greek Yogurt for sponsoring this recipe post. All delicious views expressed are that of our own
Greek Yogurt Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 large bananas ripe
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Delta® Greek Yogurt vanilla flavor, 0% Fat
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar loosely packed
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chunk morsels divided
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Spray your 6-count jumbo muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt to a medium-sized bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Add peeled bananas to a large bowl and mash them until liquid-like and thin.
- Add sugar, egg, yogurt, extract, and applesauce to the mashed bananas. Mix well to combine.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine with a spoon until just mixed.
- Fold in half of the chocolate chunks into the batter.
- Using an ice cream scooper, fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way. Add remaining chocolate chunks to the top of the muffin batter in each tin.
- Bake muffins for 23-25 minutes. They should be springy on top and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.