A cheesy, hot dip that tastes just like the best part of a crab rangoon—the middle. If you love crab rangoons, you will love this cheesy, sweet, and savory Crab Rangoon Dip! The secret ingredient really gives it the kick it needs to be a crowd pleaser! Your family and friends will rave about this delicious appetizer recipe!
Post updated 11/12/2020 – originally posted in 2013.
Crab rangoons are my all-time favorite Chinese food takeout items! I love their golden brown, crispy outer crust, and hot, delicious cheesy crab filling.
Every restaurant has their own version of crab rangoons which are generally slightly varied but in the end, they all share that hard to resist, slightly tangy and warm cream cheese and crab flavors.
I am not sure if I love the warm, creamy middle of a crab rangoon so much, or the crispy shell? Just the other day, I felt like making a batch of oven baked crab rangoons, but I didn’t have any wonton wrappers in the house.
So, I decided I would make a hot crab rangoon dip instead to enjoy with some tortillas and crackers.
Real or Imitation Crab for Crab Rangoon Dip?
For this warm crab dip recipe, I used imitation crab meat because I enjoy it much more than the real deal. Don’t get me wrong, I love a fresh crab or two but when I mix real crab with cheese, I don’t like the flavor combo. I feel That’s why imitation crab meat is a great substitute if the real deal is too strong for you.
Ingredients to Make Hot Crab Rangoon Dip
Want to make this Hot Crab Rangoon Dip? It is actually super easy and not at all time consuming! You just need to pick up some ingredients in both the dairy and seafood aisle at your local market. Typically, imitation crab meat is near the cooler area of the seafood department.
- Cream cheese
- Fresh garlic
- Imitation flake style crab meat
- Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh lemon juice
- Cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Sour cream
- Sweet Chili Thai sauce –(secret ingredient)
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
Making Crab Rangoon Dip
Combine all ingredients except for the cheddar & scallion in a large bowl. The cheddar is the final topping before baking. The scallions go on after the dip has baked.
Place mixture in a 3.5 quart baking dish and top with the cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
Enjoy with some crackers, tortilla chips, crusty bread, or fried wonton strips. We prefer Club Crackers with ours!
Everyone loved this recipe and the kids even requested more! I am going to try it with some fried wonton strips next time I make it for an even tastier experience.
You might also like these Imitation Crab recipes:
Crab Rangoon Dip (Hot Crab Dip)
- large & medium bowl
- 3.5 quart casserole dish
- 8 ounces cream cheese full fat, cold
- 8 ounces imitation crab meat shredded into large flakes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove fresh garlic pressed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 cups Sharp white cheddar cheese hand grated
- 1 tbsp chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Shred imitation crab meat to thin flakes
- Mix all the ingredients until combined.
- Place mixture in a 8 x 8 baking dish and top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350° f. for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Enjoy with Club crackers, wonton chips, or tortilla chips.