This combination of French toast, made with KING’S HAWAIIAN® Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, and stuffed with cheesecake is delectable and extremely delicious! Make this easy cheesecake stuffed French toast for a weekend breakfast treat or decadent dessert. This post has been sponsored by KING’S HAWAIIAN®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Can I get an amen that KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls are the tastiest, most versatile buns on the market? You can enjoy them with a pat of butter, alone, as part of a savory slider, or even in bread pudding. We love how delicious and easily accessible these sweet rolls are at Stop & Shop.
Lately, I have been on a cheesecake kick—as you can see from these Personal Strawberry Cheesecakes. My family loves cheesecake so much that I thought to myself, why not make Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast?
KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls would be the perfect little buns to coat in a custard mixture with some cinnamon and sugar. I knew I could do that part, but how would they bake up with a sweet cream cheese filling?
Well, after some trial and error (thank goodness these are available in various sized packages–haha!), I figured out just how to bake up some sweet French toast buns! They were completely irresistible and perfectly adorable.
How to Make
This decadent breakfast (or dessert) features KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. We love that this features a true island recipe with a uniquely soft and fluffy texture with just a touch of sweetness. These buns will make your breakfast recipes truly irresistible.
The beauty of this recipe is you can buy KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls in a variety of sizes to fit your family’s needs. We purchased a 18-pack of buns since they go FAST here!
You will also need a whisk, 9″ x 13″ baking dish, hand-mixer, paring knife, and medium-sized bowl. Here are the other common ingredients you will need to recreate this breakfast meal:
KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. The bread we chose to make this French toast. It is perfect size for portion control, too. You do not need to add sugar to the custard batter since they are already slightly sweet throughout.
Sugar. Granulated works best. You will need a 1/4 of a cup for coating the outer portion of the rolls and to add a hint of sweetness to the cream cheese filling.
Cinnamon. Just a teaspoon will work to add a comforting and classic flavor to the buns.
Eggs. You will need 4, which will provide the basis for the custard used to coat the buns.
Milk. I used whole milk, but you can also make these with almond milk. This mixes with the eggs to create the custard dipping mixture.
Vanilla Extract. This adds the perfect hint of vanilla goodness to the custard batter. It also adds flavor to the cream cheese filling.
Cream Cheese. I used a full-fat version and just needed 8 ounces since each bun gets just a little. Of course, you can use more if you prefer.
To make this decadent breakfast, simply cut out a 1″ x 1″ hole in the tops of your rolls using a paring knife.
Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and milk to make a custard.
Dip each bun in the custard and then in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Place the buns on the baking sheet.
Fill each bun with a little cheesecake filling.
Making the cheesecake filling is super simple. Having the cream cheese at room temperature is the most important step. This helps it to blend smoothly when you whip it.
Add the cream cheese, sugar, and extract to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk for 20-30 seconds or until light and fluffy.
Place the mixture in a piping bag to easily fill each bun cavity.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until done.
Using a greased baking dish will help the French toast to not stick. You can also add a sheet of parchment inside to prevent any major messes.
Only prepare the cream cheese filling right before stuffing. You cannot make it ahead of time because it will harden in the fridge and make piping difficult.
If you cannot eat cinnamon, it is optional and can be subbed with a nutmeg or fully omitted.
These are best eaten right away but can be stored in the fridge in there are any leftovers. Simply cover tightly and warm in the microwave until warmed.
You can use syrup with these if you please, but it is delicious without.
Click to save on KING’S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls at Stop & Shop.
KING’S HAWAIIAN Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast
- Hand mixer
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- 18 KING'S HAWAIIAN® Original Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Cinnamon and Sugar Coating
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temp.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Spray a 9 x 13" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl mix the ¼ cup of sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, whole milk, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and 1 tablespoon of sugar until combined; set the custard mixture aside.
- Using a paring knife, carefully cut 1 inch wide and 1 inch deep holes in the buns.
- Dip each bun in the custard and then in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Place the buns in the baking dish.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Add the softened cream cheese, sugar and extract to a medium sized bowl and beat until creamy and fluffy using a hand mixer.
- Place the mixture in a piping bag with a large star or round tip.
- Fill each hole in the buns with cream cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the buns and bake for 15-18 minutes. Buns will have a sugar crusted top and feel slightly crisp. The bottoms will however be moist since there will be extra liquid in the pan.
- Serve with syrup or alone.