Craving lemon cookies? Why not try these Lemon Cake Mix cookies? They have a perfectly sweet, vibrant, lemon flavor. Rolled in powdered sugar, they bake up to a perfectly fluffy, crinkle cookie with few ingredients.
Are you wanting to bake cookies, but hate complicated recipes? I hear you! I might be a food blogger, but I am one that craves easy to make recipes. I don’t have any fancy cooking tools, and love easy desserts.
That is why these Lemon Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies are a perfect baked cookie recipe. With just a few additions like vegetable oil, eggs, and lemon extract (optional) you can bake up 18 good-sized cookies.
Prevent cookie spreading
There is nothing worse than sticky, warm cookie dough that spreads and burns. To prevent sticky, spreading cookies this batter (thick by nature) needs to be chilled for at least 30 minutes. You do not even need to cover it. Simply add the mixing bowl to the fridge if you plan on baking them right after 30 minutes.
If you want to bake these the next day, be sure to wrap the dough tightly and bake within 24 hours.
Line a baking pan with parchment paper to make baking easy! After the dough is chilled, roll it into egg-shaped (oval) balls. This will help the cookies bake into nice, puffy cookies rather than thinly spread cookies.
How to freeze
This dough freezes well! To freeze, roll balls into little oval-shaped tablespoons. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze until dough balls are solid. You do not want to coat them in sugar before freezing.
To bake, remove the desired amount of cookies from the freezer and allow dough to thaw for 30 minutes.
Then, roll balls in powdered sugar and bake for 7-9 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure to use a parchment-lined baking sheet for a nice golden brown cookie bottom.
I have no idea if these cookies would bake up well using applesauce. I do know you can add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest without altering the dough.
You can add up to 1/2 a cup of white chocolate chips to this recipe, but it would change the crinkle shape. They would turn into a pudding style cookie.
More cake mix cookie recipes
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs large
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 3/4 cup powered sugar
- Add cake mix, vegetable oil, and cracked eggs to a large glass bowl.
- Mix using a wooden spoon until full combined.
- Place cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once cookie dough is chilled, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form cookie dough into tablespoon-sized cookies. You want to roll the dough into egg shapes and then roll them in the powdered sugar. The eggs shape will help prevent them from spreading.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Mine took the full 9 minutes to bake fully. The bottoms should be a golden brown color. The cookies will not brown on the tops, but should appear crinkly.
- Once done, allow them to cool for 5 solid minutes before transferring to a baking rack to cool. Repeat until all 18 cookies are baked. I baked 9 per sheet here and it worked out well.