Better For You Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
One of my favorite take out places happens to be Chipotle Mexican Grill. They have THE best burritos, tacos, and burrito bowls ever made. period. Seriously though, I could eat their food every single day of the week, but because I am not exactly rich, and our store is kinda a small hike I have to wait until the weekends. That’s why to satisfy my cravings I decided to make a Better For You Chicken Burrito Bowl.
Is it as good as Chipotle’s Chicken Burrito Bowl-NOPE! I don’t have that kind of magical powers they use to make their’s but it is a better for me option, and it is not that hard to make! Plus, for all you meal preppers out their who need their high protein meals, this is the real deal right here. It is low in “bad carbs” and high in muscle loving protein.
- 2 pounds of chicken cut up into small pieces
- 1 cup of brown, organic whole-grain rice
- 1 can of drained, and rinsed black beans
- 1 green, red, and yellow bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil for cooking the chicken & then veggies
- Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika for cooking the chicken
- Reduced fat cheddar cheese & optional reduced fat sour cream
Prepare 1 cups of brown rice according to the package *Do this step first since rice takes the longest to simmer.
In a skillet, heat the tablespoon of coconut oil and then add chopped chicken, and spices. cook for about 8-10 minutes on medium/high heat until chicken is done.
Once chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside.
Add the 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil and then your sliced thin veggies. cook them over low/medium heat until tender, but not mushy.
Once rice is done add cilantro and lime juice; stir
Next up, rinse and then drain your black beans
To meal prep, or make a layered burrito bowl, add in rice first, then beans, and chicken. Tops with veggies, and then cheese, and sour cream. I add like to spritz mine with some fresh lime.
This meal did have a few steps but it made enough for all five of us to enjoy two meals each out of it!