Delicious Garlic Home Fries are made using simple pantry spices and russet potatoes. Made in a cast iron skillet, these are a classic brunch side dish that your family will surely love.
Post last updated 7/22/2020
One of my favorite ways to spice up delicious foods like home fries is by adding lots of garlic! For my husband and I , garlic is one of them things that we cannot get enough of. We love it roasted, sauteed, or even in dressings when minced up into tiny pieces.
Adding it to recipes is something we try to do on a weekly basis. Garlic is not only flavorful, but also beneficial.
Home fries spices
Fresh Garlic- I love getting all the bold flavor out of my fresh garlic cloves by using a garlic press.
Freshly ground black pepper- This variety is so much better than the powdery stuff. You will get the most flavor from your fries with this type.
Onion & Garlic powders- These are two spices I stand by! Of course, you can use minced onion and garlic, but I love the powder since I can coat the fries a wee bit easier.
Paprika- This brings out a subtly delicious smoky flavor and adds nice color.
Oregano- Just a little goes a long way to make these fries taste extra delicious.
If you do not have these seasonings, steak seasoning is also a great choice. Be creative with what you have on-hand because as long as you flavor the potatoes, they will be delicious.
Using a large cast iron skillet will yield nicely crisp, evenly cooked fries. If you want to shorten the cooking time, simply boil the potatoes for 10 minutes and rinse them with cool water. This shortens the browning time. However, you do not want to over boil or overcook them because they will turn mushy!
Using both extra virgin olive oil to coat the potatoes in spices, and then butter to brown them works beautifully for a nice color and delicious flavor.
Allow potatoes to sit for a a few minutes to absorb the yummy flavors. Personally, I will make these ahead of time and reheat them because they will have an even better flavor infusion.
These are so good that you do not need ketchup or hot sauce, but around here my kids love both!
I love pairing these home fries with bacon, eggs, toast, or waffles. Sometimes I even make them to serve with grilled meats.
Delicious Garlic Home Fries
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes
- 2 tbsps. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps. green onion diced
- Cube potatoes into small, bite-sized pieces; set aside.
- Toss cubed potatoes with spices. Ensure all surfaces are coated with spice and oil.
- In a large skillet, heat up your butter, and saute your garlic for 2 minutes before adding the home fries in.
- Add in potatoes into the skillet, and cook covered for 10 minutes. Flip them around and cook for another 10 minutes covered. The edges will start to become slightly golden brown.
- Remove cover and stir potatoes until you see them start to turn golden brown on some of their edges
- Remove potatoes from heat, allow potatoes to sit for a few minutes to absorb the yummy flavors. Personally, I will make these ahead of time and reheat them because they will have an even better flavor infusion.