Delicious Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Now that the holidays are literally right around the corner, I thought it would be the perfect time to share my easy sweet potato casserole recipe with you all. Think of it as sweet potato pie but without the crust. I started making this recipe three years ago on a whim. I did not follow any particular recipe, but knew of a few spices that really compliment sweet potatoes.
To makes delicious sweet potato casserole, there are two kitchen tools you will need. The first thing you will need is a steaming basket to steam your sweet potatoes, and the second is a hand mixer. I find steaming about 3 1/2 lbs of sweet potatoes for exactly 20 minutes on high is the perfect amount of time. You will want to fully cover the bottom of your steamer with at least 1 inch of water. If you do not use adequate water, you will burn your lovely potatoes.
- 3-4 lbs of sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg *optional
- Peel, and cube your sweet potatoes. Please be careful because these ARE NOT the easiest root to cut through!
- Place your cubed sweet potatoes in a steaming pan with adequate water
- Steam on high for 20 minutes
- Remove from heat, and drain the excess water. Place your sweet potatoes into a large glass bowl, and add your ingredients.
- Mix them on high speed for about 1 minute, or until fully pureed.
- Place the mashed sweet potatoes into a large baking dish, or casserole pan. I used a Chinet Bake and Take Pan because this was for my daughter’s school meal.
- Add 1 full bag of mini marshmallows to the top-scatter evenly
- Bake at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes, or until marshmallows are lightly toasted.
I hope your family enjoys our delicious sweet potato casserole recipe! Happy holidays!