Calling all Dr. Pepper® lovers! This soda-infused Chocolate Cake is a favorite of both kids and adults alike! You’ll love this moist chocolate batter that’s full of flavor with simple ingredients like cake mix, pudding, and Dr. Pepper® soda – the perfect balance to make your mouth water in anticipation for dessert time!
Dr Pepper® is a popular beverage that many people enjoy on a daily basis. Surprisingly, it also makes for one of the best cake recipes you’ll ever try! This tasty cake has moist texture from the soda, and comes out rich with flavor; perfect for any occasion!
When I get a rare craving for something sweet, nothing satisfies me more than an occasional diet Dr. Pepper®. The bubbles tickle my mouth and the cherry taste is like eating dessert! It is especially tasty when baked into this decadent cake. In fact, you could also even used a cola-based soda, but we like the hint of cherry in this cake.
One of the most amazing things about making a semi-homemade cake like this Dr. Pepper® cake, is that you can make it so easily. You do not need much skill to bake this cake because you use a boxed chocolate cake mix. For this recipe version, your cake with be very springy and moist.
- Cake mix – 15.25 ounce box of Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake mix works best for a rich, chocolaty flavor.
- Pudding – A 3.4 ounce packet of instant chocolate pudding adds more flavor to this cake.
- Soda – While this cake features Dr. Pepper® soda, you can also use any cola-based soda. You will be following the cake mix instructions to include 1 1/4 cups of soda instead of the water.
- Eggs – Adds extra moisture to the cake and allows it to to get a nice springy, moist crumb. This recipe uses 3 eggs.
- Oil – You will need 1/2 cup of vegetable oil for this recipe.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix all of the above ingredients together in a bowl until batter is creamy and lump-free. Pour batter into a greased and lightly floured Bundt cake pan.
Cook for 42-45 minutes (depends on the boxed cake mix instructions). The cake will be springy and feel firm once done. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake will come out clean.
Allow this cake to cool for at least one hour before removing it from the pan. You can also bake this in an 11 x 9 sized, greased, and lightly floured pan.
The cake is sweet enough that a light dusting of powdered sugar is all it needs on top.
- Keep it in the fridge to keep it fresh and moist.
- Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil before storing.
- Store cake on a plate or tray, not directly on the shelf – this will prevent any condensation from forming on top of the cake.
- Place a piece of wax paper between layers of chocolate cake for easy removal when you want to eat them.
- Don’t store chocolate cakes near other foods that give off strong odors like garlic, onions, or fish because these can cause your chocolate cakes to taste funky!
- If you’re going to be storing your cakes for more than 2 days, freeze them instead! This will help preserve their flavor and texture better than refrigeration alone would do.
- Slice cooled cake and place slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze slices for 2 hours or until frozen.
- Transfer slices into an airtight container.
- To serve, allow cake to thaw in the refrigerator or heat in the microwave until thawed and warm.
More Cakes to Bake
We hope you enjoyed this recipe post and that it inspires you to make your own Dr. Pepper® Cake! If you liked this recipe, please share it with others by clicking on the social media icons below. Remember to subscribe for more recipes like these in our next newsletter!
Dr. Pepper® Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 10-cup Bundt pan
- Hand mixer
- large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 15.25 ounces Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1¼ cups Dr. Pepper® soda diet or regular
- 3.4 ounces instant chocolate pudding
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar optional*
- Preheat oven according to box temperature requirement. Our cake baked at 350°F.
- Grease a Bundt pan with nonstick baking spray and a light dusting of all-purpose flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat all ingredients over medium speed until batter is lump-free.
- Fill Bundt pan with cake batter.
- Bake on the center oven rack according to box instructions temperature. Cake will be firm, and springy when done. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says
OMG that sounds SOOOOO good. Chris would LOVE this.
Can u make this with a gluten free cake mix?
Amy Desrosiers says
That cake sounds so delicious! I can see how Dr Pepper would go well in a cake like that.
I never would have thought to put soda in cake! Looks delicious though!
What a yummy sounding cake! I’m sure the soda helps to make it a moist cake and also give it a little tang!. I’d definitely try this!
Vera Sweeney says
This looks amazing!! Since it’s made with Diet Dr Pepper that means it’s no calories all together right? I need to try this out!
oh this looks so good. I bet it’s just delicious. I would love to try it, I loved Dr Pepper when i was younger. Haven’t really had it much since!
Liz Mays says
I’m loving this idea. I ‘m pretty sure my boyfriend would like a dessert like this too. We both love Dr. Pepper.
Dawn Lopez says
Chocolate cake? With a hint of cherry? Yes. please! Your cake sounds absolutely delish!
Marcie W. says
I love this unique spin on traditional chocolate cake almost as much as I love Dr. Pepper! I do not drink soda too often, but when I do, this is my go-to.
This looks like a super yummy cake to have for sure. I love Dr Pepper!
What a fun way to use diet Dr. Pepper. I think this sounds great!
Rajee Pandi says
I love to try it
OK i know I would totally love this. i love anything sweet and this looks like it would satisfying my cravings. lol
Lisa Joy Thompson says
I’ve tried Coca-Cola cake and LOVE it, but I’ve never tried Diet Dr. Pepper cake. My husband is a huge Dr Pepper fan! He even said “I love you more than Dr. Pepper” when he proposed to me! :)
Raijean S says
Geez, that looks amazing! I’m going to see if I can replicate it. I hope I don’t eat the whole things
Ora Lee Gurr says
This diet Dr Pepper cake sounds and looks yummy. It’s something nice to take to a potluck or other special event. The Dr. Pepper contest is an extra perk.