If you love Dr. Pepper soda, you will love this super moist and chocolaty easy Dr Pepper Chocolate cake dessert that has the slightest hint of cherry goodness. Make this cake with just 3 ingredient items!
One of my guilty pleasures is having an occasional Dr Pepper®. I love the way the bubbles tingle in my mouth, and the sweet cherry taste is enough to make a cup, (or in this case a can) a dessert in itself.
However, did you know that Diet Dr Pepper® also makes a great ingredient for chocolate cake? My Diet Dr Pepper® Chocolate Cake is one amazingly moist dessert with a subtle hint of cherry.
How to Make a Dr Pepper Cake -Option 1
One of the most amazing things about making a semi-homemade cake like this Dr Pepper cake, is that you can make it so easily. You do not need much skill to bake this cake because you use a boxed chocolate cake mix. For this recipe version, your cake with be very springy and moist.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix – Devil’s Food works well *do not add eggs, oil, etc.
- 1 packet of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 8 ounces of Dr Pepper
How to Make a Boxed Cake Better
One of the easiest ways to make a boxed cake mix better is by adding a packet of instant pudding mix to it. You add the pudding mix right as you prepare the cake according to the box!
Another way to jazz up boxed cake mix is to substitute soda water or actual soda for the water requirement.
How to Make a Soda Cake Option- 2
If you want to make this Dr Pepper Cake even moister you can following the instructions for the boxed cake mix with the oil, and eggs, BUT you will sub the water requirement with Dr Pepper or your favorite soda. You will also add in one packet of pudding.
- Devils Food Cake Mix
- oil *follow box instructions
- eggs *follow box instructions
- Dr Pepper in lieu of required water per the box instructions
- 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix
I have found that the cake baking time is pretty much on-point with the box requirements so the ingredient swaps do not affect that.
Directions for Both Cake Variations
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Mix all of the above ingredients together in a bowl, and then pour into a greased bundt cake pan.
Cook for 42-45 minutes (depends on the boxed cake mix instructions).
The cake is sweet enough that a light dusting of powdered sugar is all it needs.
The cake is very moist and has a slight hint of cherry. Perfect for bake sales, or midnight snacks! haha! Be sure to pick up some Dr Pepper® on your next Walmart trip!
Because you liked this cake you might also like these recipes:
Get the printable recipe for this Dr Pepper Cake below!
Dr Pepper Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 8 ounces Dr Pepper
- 1 packet Chocolate Instant Pudding
- 2 tbsps powdered sugar optional*
- Preheat oven according to box temperature requirement.
- Grease a bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cake, and ALL ingredients. * see recipe notes.
- Fill bundt with cake batter.
- Bake according to box instructions or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
For a Moister CakeFor a moister cake, follow the FULL directions on the cake mix box, but sub the water for the Dr Pepper soda. Add 1 packet of instant chocolate pudding mix.
- You can also sub regular Dr Pepper for the Diet Dr Pepper variety.