We all know the struggle of having to hit up the local fast-food joint, or vending machine when nutritious, and easily accessible food wasn’t in arms reach. With so many things to juggle in life and a never-ending list of chores to cross off your day, having a wholesome lunch, or dinner can feel daunting. But what if I told you that there was a way for you to prepare nutritious lunches easily? This is where meal prep salads come in! This post is sponsored by SheSpeaks for Fresh Gourmet at Sam’s Club. All views expressed are that of our own.
Meal prepping is an awesome way to make sure you always have something good on-hand when hunger strikes. You’ll be able to spend less time aimlessly wandering the grocery stores aisles because most of your ingredients will last a full week. Let’s dive into how you can start salad meal prepping today…
Salad meal prep is the best way to save time and money on your lunches, or weeknight dinners. It’s also a great way to pack in your daily nutritional needs! Salad meal prepping is a great way to make sure you’re eating healthy during the week, and it’s surprisingly easy! Salads are an excellent source of vitamins and nutrients. They also provide fiber, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and other important minerals. Salads are often high in protein too if you include cheese, meat, or eggs.
Today, we’ll show you how to prep salads in 5 steps.
Before you get started, you will need the following kitchen tools and supplies for success:
- Meal prep containers – These can be found online and in-stores. They are often made of washable, and microwaveable plastic. Most places sell them in packs of ten. If you do not like plastic, you can also use glass storage containers with lids.
- Salad Dressing containers – You never want to soak your salad in dressing the morning of because this will wilt your veggies and make the salad taste terrible. I recommend adding dressing right before consuming for best taste/texture.
- Cutting Board – A sturdy, slip-proof cutting board is such a valuable kitchen tool. I suggest using a plastic type which will not breed bacteria like a wooden one does.
- Knife – Most of my cutting is done with a high-quality chef’s knife that allows for quick, easy cutting. Always be careful when handling a knife.
- Food storage bags – Often called green bags, these keep produce fresher when stored in the refrigerator.
- Glass food storage containers – I prefer glass when it comes to storing veggies I prep ahead of time like onions. The glass doesn’t absorb the odors like plastic does.
- Ice packs – There is nothing as disappointing as a wilted salad that wasn’t properly chilled. Invest in some good ice packs if you plan on bringing these to work, or even the beach.
- Composter – When your salad prep you will have lots of vegetable scraps. Unless you have pigs or chickens, a composter is helpful to be green and turn your scraps into black gold. See this post for a DIY composter you can easily construct.
Salad Ingredient Ideas
My biggest tip for the week’s salad ingredients is to buy what is on sale or fresh. By building your salads around inexpensive fruit, proteins, or produce you are saving yourself not only time but also money. Some of my favorite salad ingredients are the following:
- Cabbage mix
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Grilled chicken
- Grilled steak
- Cheese cubes
- Peppers- all varieties
- Oil & vinegar
- Dressings that are on sale!
- Fresh Gourmet Parmesan Crisps
- Fresh Gourmet Cranberry & Pecan Topping
Best Salad Toppers
You don’t have to limit yourself to just croutons! These days, items like sunflower seeds, nuts, and even dried fruits are all the rage. My two latest favorite salad toppers happen to be from the Fresh Gourmet brand which you can find at Sam’s Club in the salad dressing aisle. Whether you are on keto, or just love that crunch factor, there is a product for you!
Fresh Gourmet Parmesan Crisps
If you love Parmesan cheese like I do, you’ll love these crisps! They are made from 100% cheese, are keto-friendly, low-carb friendly, vegetarian, certified gluten-free, and are loaded with protein! These ready to eat crisps are so good you can enjoy them right out of the bag or on top of your favorite salad!
Fresh Gourmet Cranberry & Pecan Topping
If you love sweet & salty this topping is for you! It is so delicious as a snack, added to yogurt, oatmeal, or even used in a chicken salad! I love it on my berry salads because it adds a yummy crunch. You can find the club sized bag at Sam’s Club in the salad dressing aisle.
Salad Meal Prepping
- Start by washing your vegetables thoroughly – for example any lettuce or spinach that will go into the salad should be rinsed off under cool water until all dirt has been removed from the leaves. A base of lettuce, spinach, arugula, or any other leafy green you enjoy is a great place to start. Add your greens base to your meal prep containers. I like to pack 4-5 at a time.
- Add your favorite toppings – tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers, Fresh Gourmet Parmesan Crisps or Fresh Gourmet Cranberry & Pecan Topping are among many to choose from.
- Include a protein like chicken, eggs, tofu, or beans for added flavor and texture.
- Dress it up with some fresh herbs to really make the salad pop!
- Serve your meal prep salads in airtight containers that will keep them fresh all week long!
For those who already salad meal prep as part-of your daily routine, what are some of your favorite salad combos? Share with us in the comments below! With these simple tips, there’s no reason not to make eating healthier easier than ever before. Be sure to pick up some Fresh Gourmet products at your local Sam’s Club!