The beauty of this vintage cake is that you’re likely to have almost everything on hand since this dessert recipe relies heavily on pantry staples. Check out how these ingredients make this cake a winner in my recipe book.
This rhubarb cake is a delicious and refreshing dessert that is perfect for the warmer weather. The tartness of the rhubarb is balanced perfectly by the sweetness of the cake, and the crumble topping adds a nice crunch. This cake is also relatively easy to make, so even beginner bakers can give it a try. I know my kids loved it so much I made extra for the freezer.
In addition to its delicious taste, this cake is also nostalgic and beautiful. The flavors of rhubarb and cinnamon remind many people of their childhood, and the bright red rhubarb and the golden brown crumble topping make this cake a feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds.
Ingredients for Rhubarb Cake
- All-purpose flour – This is the main ingredient in the cake batter that provides structure and helps to keep the cake moist.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar gives the cake its sweetness and helps to balance out the tartness of the rhubarb.
- Salt – Helps bring out the flavors in the cake.
- Eggs – help to bind the cake batter together and give it a light and fluffy texture.
- Sour cream – adds richness and moisture to the cake.
- Rhubarb – is the star of this cake and provides tartness and tangy flavor.
- Cinnamon – adds warmth and depth to the cake flavor.
- Nutmeg – adds a subtle, nutty flavor to the cake.
- Vanilla extract – adds a rich, vanilla flavor to the cake.
- Topping – The crumble topping is a delicious and crunchy topping that adds another layer of flavor to the cake. It’s made with butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Making a Rhubarb Cake
I love how easy this cake was to mix, and assemble. Get the full recipe in the recipe card below, but here is a quick summary of the steps.
Preheat oven and grease a baking dish.
In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Fold in rhubarb.
Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
Make crumble topping.
Sprinkle crumble topping over batter.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Let cool completely before serving.
- Use fresh, tart rhubarb for the best flavor.
- Don’t have rhubarb? Use fresh blueberries or strawberries.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and letting it sit for 5 minutes.
- For a richer flavor, you can add 1/2 cup of sour cream or yogurt to the batter.
- Top the cake with whipped cream or ice cream for a decadent treat.
Rhubarb Cake FAQs:
- Can I use frozen rhubarb? Yes, you can use frozen rhubarb in this recipe. Just thaw the rhubarb before adding it to the batter.
- Can I make this cake ahead of time? Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to serve, let the cake come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before slicing.
- Can I make this cake in a different pan? Yes, you can make this cake in a different pan, but the baking time may need to be adjusted. A 9×13 inch pan will give you a thicker cake, while a 9×9 inch pan will give you a thinner cake.
Keeping this Fresh/Storing
This cake will last for about 3-4 days at room temperature, or up to 1 week in the refrigerator. To store the cake, simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. You can also freeze the cake for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for a few hours.
Here are some additional tips for storing this cake:
- If you’re storing the cake at room temperature, make sure to keep it in a cool, dry place.
- If you’re storing the cake in the refrigerator, make sure to wrap it tightly so that it doesn’t dry out.
- If you’re freezing the cake, make sure to wrap it tightly in several layers of plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
More Delicious Cakes to Try Today
Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Cake
- Oven adjusted to the center rack position
- 1 9" x 13" retangle Pyrex
- large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board & knife
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sour cream until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the flour until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the cake batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving.