Lemon dump cake is a sweet and tart dessert with a golden-brown crust and a juicy lemon filling.
Lemon dump cake is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that is perfect for any occasion. It is made with just a few simple ingredients, and it comes together in just a matter of minutes. The cake is moist and fluffy, and the lemon filling is tart and refreshing. This recipe is sure to please everyone at your table.
If you love lemon bars or cobbler, you have got to try thi recipe. It truly does taste just like a lemon bar in a scoopable dessert form that pairs so well with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Lemon Dump Cake Ingredients
- Lemon pie filling – This is the main ingredient that gives this lemon dessert its tart and refreshing flavor. It is made with lemon juice, sugar, eggs, and cornstarch.
- Yellow cake mix – This is the base of the dessert. It is made with flour, sugar, eggs, oil, and baking powder.
- Butter – This is used to bind the mix and to give it a buttery flavor but be sure to only use unsalted butter.
- Lemon Extract (optional) – Increases the lemony goodness.
How to Make Dump Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish.
Pour lemon pie filling into prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle cake mix mixture over lemon pie filling.
Add butter pads to the top layer.
Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
- For a richer flavor, use lemon pudding mix instead of lemon pie filling. You will need 3 boxes of instant vanilla pudding and 6 cups of cold, whole milk.
- To make a streusel topping, combine 1/2 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1/4 cup of butter. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over the cake mix before baking.
- To make a healthier version, use a light or reduced-fat cake mix and substitute applesauce for the butter. You would need to mix the cake and one cup of applesauce together before topping the lemon layer.
Dump Cake Variations:
- For a chocolate version, use chocolate cake mix and chocolate pudding mix.
- For a strawberry version, use strawberry pie filling and strawberry cake mix.
- For a blueberry version, use blueberry pie filling and blueberry cake mix.
Storing Dump Cake
Leftover lemon dump cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Cover it with multiple layers of plastic wrap and foil to keep out freezer burn. To thaw, let it sit at room temperature for a few hours or overnight.
More Easy Lemon Desserts
Easy Lemon Dump Cake Recipe
- Oven *center rack position
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- Rubber Spatula
- cutting board & knife
- 15.25 ounces yellow cake mix
- 22 ounces lemon pie filling
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup butter *2 sticks sliced into thin pads
- powdered sugar *optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Pour lemon pie filling into prepared baking dish and spread.
- Sprinkle cake mix over lemon pie filling and gently press into the lemon filling.
- Space out butter pads and place them on top of the cake mix.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.