An easy, egg-free berry dessert that is made with just a few ingredients. Perfect to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
Strawberry Cherry Dump Cake is a simple and delicious dessert that can be whipped up in no time at all. This delectable treat starts with a strawberry cake mix and two cans of cherry pie filling. The ingredients are layered in a 9×13 inch baking dish and topped with butter pats. The end result is a tasty, decadent, egg-free cake in less than an hour!
If you crave easy-to-make recipes that use common, store-bought ingredients then you’ll enjoy this dessert. We used canned cherry pie filling, and strawberry boxed cake mix and the results were fantastic! Enjoy this dump cake warm, out of the oven with some fresh whipped topping, or vanilla ice cream for the BEST kind of treat!
Before preparing this egg-free cake recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- Canned Cherry Pie filling – 20 ounces x 2
- 15.25-ounce Strawberry Cake Mix – This is the top layer of the dump cake.
- Butter – You will need 12 tablespoons or 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter frozen for at least one hour for best results.
How to Get the Perfect Dump Cake
Ever make a dump cake that came out powdery and less than appealing? The reason being is because while this is called a dump cake, you really do need to do a little more than just dump it for best results.
After you add the strawberry cake mix over the cherry base layer, you will want to take a rubber spatula and gently pat the cherry juices into the cake mix. This will help it absorb the initial liquid so it prevents a dry top layer.
Next, you’ll need to make sure you evenly distribute the butter pads. Some recipes call for melted butter over the top of a dump cake, but this tends to be problematic because many areas will be left without butter and will be “powdery” even after baking for one hour.
A great tip for the butter step is to freeze your butter for at least 1 hour before carefully slicing it into thin pats. Additionally, you can also grate your butter while frozen. This will allow you to evenly sprinkle the butter over the entire dump cake. By sprinkling/lining the butter over the cake mixture, your cake will bake up evenly to a golden-brown, bubbly texture and will not be powdery or dry.
If you want to prepare this in the morning before work for baking in the evening follow ALL the recipe instructions except for the baking step. Cover the cake tightly and store for up to 12 hours before baking. Bake at the normal temperature and time.
If you want to store your Strawberry Cherry Dump Cake simply follow the below instructions for best taste! While this recipe is best eaten the same day, warm out of the oven, you can enjoy it warmed the next day or two!
Place any leftover berry dump cake in an airtight container with a lid. This will keep out any unwanted odors from ruining the flavor of the cake. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days max for best taste and consistency. In my opinion, this is best tasting when it it crunchy on top and has a cobbler-like texture, and taste–same day!
More Tasty Cherry Recipes to Try Today
- Cherry Crumble Pie Bars
- Martha Washington Candies (Coconut Cherry Truffles)
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Cherry Nut Fudge
- Maraschino Cherry Cookies
Strawberry Cherry Dump Cake
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- Oven adjusted to center rack position
- 15.25 ounces strawberry cake mix
- 40 ounces cherry pie filling *2 (20-ounce) cans
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter Cut into pats
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Add cherry pie filling to the bottom of the dish and gently spread.
- Sprinkle cake mix over fruit mixture. Using a spatula gently incorporate the cherry juice into the cake mix to moisten it.
- Evenly distribute butter pads to the top of the cake.
- Place dump cake into the oven uncovered and bake for 55-60 minutes. The cake will become a deep golden brown once done and will look crispy on top with a fluffy inner. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving warm.