A dessert-like acorn squash recipe that is sweet thanks to honey, brown sugar, and butter. This squash bakes up to a caramelized perfection. It is perfect anytime of the year too!
Sweet & Buttery Oven Roasted Acorn Squash RecipeI am having such a hard time with the fact that Thanksgiving is literally next week, and that Christmas is almost just a month away! It really seems as if the Summer just ended yesterday, and the Fall season went missing!
Only part of me wants Thanksgiving to hurry on up because there is nothing I love more than my sweet potato casserole, meatless stuffing, and my buttery turkey! I could feast on Thanksgiving type meals all year round because I am such a foodie!
I wanted to mix things up a little bit this year, and try out my hand at making acorn squash. I have purchased acorn squash in the past only to use it as a decorative basket centerpiece. I didn’t really think it would taste as amazing as say butternut squash. Of course I was totally proved wrong when the chance to make this holiday recipe cam along.
One day a couple of weeks ago, my husband came home with two large, green acorn squashes with a hint of orange on each. I couldn’t wait to see just how tasty these babies would be! Since I am big on roasting, and toasting I popped these squash on baking sheets, and loaded the up with plenty of brown sugar, and real butter–can you say delish!?
Sweet acorn squash ingredients
*Our recipe provided 4 halves for 4 people total*
- 2 acorn squash, washed, gutted, and halved
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 4 tablespoons of pure honey
- optional- black pepper, cinnamon*
How to bake sweet acorn squash
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Lay your squash flat side up on a large baking sheet.
Melt your butter in the microwave.
Add your honey, and brown sugar to the butter, and mix.
Evenly divide the mixture between each of the 4 acorn squash, and baste the inner walls. Leave excess mixture in the center of each.
Cook the in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
Enjoy with a fork–these Sweet & Buttery Oven Roasted Acorn Squash are so delicious, and make the perfect Thanksgiving side dish!
Sweet & Buttery Acorn Squash
- 2 whole acorn squash washed, halved, and gutted.
- 1 stick salted butter melted
- 4 tbsps. brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp. black pepper *optional, but provides a sweet & savory experience.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash, dry, and carefully halve squash. Use an ice cream scooper to remove seeds.
- Add melted butter, honey, and brown sugar to a small bowl and whisk.
- brush on the sweet mixture coating the inside walls of the squash. Divide extra mixture among all 4 halves.
- Bake squash for 45-50 minutes or until a fork inserted in the center can easily go through the flesh.