Hey home cooks! I have a great recipe for you to try out. These light buffalo chicken wontons are perfect as an appetizer, snack, or even as a side dish. The best part is that they take only 15 minutes from start to finish and require just 8 ingredients – so easy!
The wonton filling is made with flavorful ingredients like Greek yogurt, blue cheese dressing, cheese, and green onion! The final product is a crispy, tangy, spicy, and super creamy air-fried masterpiece. You’ll love every bite of this easy-to-make appetizer.
The filling can easily be made ahead of time making them great for entertaining at the last minute because they’re super simple to fill, and air fry. Each batch takes just 5 minutes to “fry” with absolutely no oil making them a lighter version of a classic.
How to Make Lighter Buffalo Chicken Dip (Wonton Filling)
Buffalo Chicken Wonton filling is basically the same thing as Buffalo Chicken Dip. Although I love my Buffalo Chicken Dip, I wanted these wontons to use a healthier, lighter version.
To make this dip lighter, I swapped the cream cheese for non-fat Greek yogurt. I also used reduced-fat cheddar blend, and blue cheese dressing to save some calories. The air fryer crisps up these wontons without oil and enhances the tangy, spicy filling inside.
To make the filling you’ll need a large bowl. Start by combining the chicken, Greek yogurt, blue cheese, shredded cheddar, red pepper sauce, and green onions. Combine until it’s all mixed throughout.
Making the Wontons
Lay your wonton wrappers out on a baking sheet or a floured surface.
Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of mixture into the center of each wonton wrapper. Be careful to not overfill or you’ll have trouble folding it. I like to fill all of them before folding.
Once all of the wrappers are filled, you’ll fold up two opposite corners so they meet in the center to form a triangle shape.
Seal edges closed with water. I typically keep a small bowl of water nearby and dip my fingers in to do this step.
I do not add any additional oil to my wontons or cooking spray because I find they do not stick.
To air-fry them, place them on an air fryer basket and inside your air-fryer at 350°F. Mine took about 5 minutes and I was able to cook 15 wontons per batch.
How to Make these More Rich
To make these richer in flavor ((with more calories)) there are a few swaps you can easily make.
Instead of Greek yogurt, use softened cream cheese. You will also use full-fat cheddar cheese and sour cream instead of cottage cheese.
You can also use ranch dressing if you prefer to skip the blue cheese.
How to Reheat Your Buffalo Chicken Wontons in the Air Fryer
Have some leftover Buffalo Chicken Wontons that you want to reheat the best way? Reheat them in the air-fryer!
Reheating Buffalo Chicken Wontons in an air fryer is a simple process that can be done quickly without compromising the taste or texture of this classic appetizer.
Simply follow these steps…
- Place wontons on the air fryer tray basket.
- Set the Air Fryer to 350°F.
- Air fry for 3-5 minutes or until wontons are crisp on the outside and warm on the inside.
You can also microwave your chicken wontons for about 45 seconds to one minute, but they will not be as crisp as the air fryer.
If you prefer to bake your Buffalo Chicken Wontons in the oven, I also have the recipe for Baked Buffalo Chicken Rangoons on the site.
Appetizers to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Wontons
Looking for more game day appetizers to try out? Check out these other snack ideas that would be perfect for your game day!
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip Bites
- Queso Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- Sweet & Spicy Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Lighter Jalapeno Popper Dip
Air Fryer Light Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- Air fryer
- medium mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- cutting board & knife
- Measuring cups & spoons
- 48 wonton wrappers
- 1½ cups Cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- ¾ cup Non-Fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup Blue cheese dressing
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce
- ½ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup water to seal wontons
- In a bowl, combine all the filling ingredients. Mix until fully combined.1½ cups Cooked chicken, ¾ cup Non-Fat Greek yogurt, ¼ cup Blue cheese dressing, ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese, ½ cup buffalo wing sauce, ½ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Layout the wonton wrappers on a flat surface to prepare for filling.48 wonton wrappers
- Using a tablespoon, place 1 scoop of filling into the center of each wonton wrapper.
- Fold wonton over like a triangle (corner to corner). Dip your finger(s) into some clean water and wet the edges of the wonton to seal them shut.¼ cup water
- Once your first batch is ready to be air fried, add them to the basket and set the time for 6 minutes at 350 degrees. Air fryers can vary so check yours at the 5-minute mark for doneness. They should be crispy and have lots of toasty edges.
- Repeat until all are done! Serve with extra buffalo or blue cheese dressing! Enjoy!
Leave a Reply