Crispy, crunchy, and savory wonton cups are filled with browned, seasoned sausage, topped with melted cheese and baked in a muffin tin. These make a delicious appetizer for gamedays and parties in less than 30 minutes time!
Looking for a tasty sausage based appetizer recipe for game day? Well, you have come to the right place because we sure do have a yummy one that is sure to make your taste buds squeal with delight. These Buffalo-Style Sausage Wontons combine all the yummy flavors of sausage with the popular flavors of buffalo style sauce.
I love this time of year because I have been literally cooking up a storm in my kitchen. These week has been all about the appetizers. What common foods could I add a twist to, to make delicious bite-sized morsels from?
When it comes to Johnsonville Sausage we are no strangers to their tasty varieties. I especially love the Mild Ground Sausage which is perfect for cooking. With all the spices already added into the sausage, it is truly a time-saver.
I love adding tasty foods to wonton cups so this was a no-brainer. If you have not cooked with wonton wrappers, you are missing out! They are not only tasty but trendy too!
Before starting this recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- Johnsonville Mild Ground Sausage
- Blue cheese (you can use dressing or crumbles)
- Buffalo wing sauce
- Shredded cheese mix
- Wonton wrappers
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- 24- count standard muffin tin – To bake the wontons in.
- Skillet – A medium skillet is needed to brown the ground sausage.
- Spoon – To add the fillings to the wontons.
- Cooking Spray – To brown the wonton shells.
This recipe is so easy! You can find the full version below. However, I basically filled pre-baked, crisp, wonton shells with cooked ground sausage, added blue cheese, and then baked them. Once they were on their last minute of baking time, I added the cheese and they were ready to eat!
The crispy crunch of the wonton cup pairs so nicely with the softer sausage and cheese combo inside.
This recipe is easy to make if you know the right tips and tricks! Here are my tips for ensuring your Spicy Buffalo & Cheese Cups come out perfectly.
Johnsonville makes a variety of raw, ground sausage blends that would work well in this recipe. You can choose any variety you prefer that can be browned. If you want, you can also use meatless sausage crumbles to make this vegetarian.
We used Mexican blend shredded cheese for these, however you can pretty much use any shredded blend you prefer. This recipe is really flexible and can accommodate a variety of blends.
We used buffalo wing sauce and blue cheese dressing (can also use crumbles) for our flavorings. If you are not a fan of blue cheese, you can use ranch.
Your guests will LOVE these! Making them the same day is recommended to prevent sogginess. You can pre-make the mixture ahead of time, but baking the wontons would be ideal right before serving.
If you want to store your Buffalo Sausage & Cheese Wontons , just follow these easy steps.
- Any leftovers need to be stored in the fridge. These do not freeze well as is. You can reheat these in the microwave although it will make them a bit soggy. Toasting them in a 350 degree oven for 2-3 minutes will help warm and crisp them up.
Follow the recipe below to make Spicy Buffalo Sausage Wontons! This recipe makes 24 SERVINGS, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Buffalo Sausage & Cheese Baked Wontons
- 24-count muffin tin
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 cup Mexican shredded cheese blend
- ¼ cup buffalo wing sauce
- ½ cup blue cheese dressing
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add wonton wrappers into each muffin tin space. Spray wrappers with a quick, even spray of cooking spray (olive oil type). Add pan(s) to the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes or until crisp, and golden brown is appearance. Remove from oven once done. (leave oven on)
- Pan-fry ground sausage until fully cooked, and brown in appearance; drain excess liquid. Stir in buffalo sauce, and dressing, and stir to combine.
- Spoon seasoned sausage mixture evenly into each baked wonton wrapper. Sprinkle with cheese and place pan back in the oven for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and creamy on cups. Enjoy warm.