In this post, we’ll show you how to make sweet and slightly spicy corn muffins. This recipe is a twist on an old favorite. Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins are perfect for any occasion and can be made with or without jalapeños depending on how spicy you want the muffins to be. The recipe is easy to follow, so it’s worth trying out!
These savory muffins are made with fresh jalapenos and cheddar cheese for a spicy kick! The recipe is super easy, requiring only simple and inexpensive ingredients that can be found at any grocery store. This makes it possible for anyone to whip up these Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins!
These corn muffins are perfect on their own or with a side of chili & cornbread too! Perfect for the fall and winter seasons.
Before starting this recipe, you’ll want to verify that you have the following ingredients:
- All Purpose Flour – This allow for a fluffy textured muffin.
- Corn Meal – Adds flavor, and texture.
- Salt – Enhances the flavor of the muffin.
- Baking Soda – Will help generate the “rise” to make these fluffier.
- Buttermilk – Moistens the muffin and improves the otherwise dry texture. Note: if you don’t have buttermilk on hand mix one tablespoon of white vinegar with one cup of milk. Let it it for 5 minutes and then use. It will be lightly lumpy and that is 100% okay!
- Unsalted Butter – Helps to add flavor and moisture.
- Granulated Sugar – This will add a sweetness to the muffin.
- Raw Honey – A little goes a long way to add natural sweetness.
- Eggs – Add moisture and helps the muffins to bake up nicely.
- Jalapeno Peppers – Add texture, color, and spice to these sweet and savory muffins.
- Cheddar Cheese – Adds the savory to these muffins and pairs nicely with the peppers.
Equipment and Supplies Needed
We used the following equipment and supplies to make this recipe. Items that are optional or can be substituted will be noted.
- Measuring cups & spoons – To measure out your ingredients.
- Mixing bowl & spoon – to mix the batter in/with.
- Oven – Adjusted to the center rack to bake the muffins.
- Muffin tin & wrappers – To bake the muffins in.
- Nonstick spray – to spray the muffin wrappers with so the muffin doesn’t stick to them.
- Gloves – For seeding, and chopping the jalapeno. You always want gloves because the seeds and inner ribs will burn your skin, face, and eyes–never touch your eyes!
- Cutting board & knife – To chop the jalapeno on.
- Ice cream scoop – To scoop the batter into the cupcake wrappers.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk the dry ingredients, and then add in the went ones. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Gently fold in the jalapenos and cheddar cheese. Scoop batter into sprayed cupcake papers about almost all of the way- leave about 1/4 inch.
Bake for 15-18 minutes. Muffins will have a slightly cracked, puffy top and will feel firm to the touch. A toothpick or baking tester inserted into the center of the muffins should come out clean once done.
Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes and enjoy warm.
If you want to store your Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins, just follow these easy steps.
- These muffins can be stored at room temperature for up to 48 hours for best taste. To reheat, pop them in the microwave for 20 seconds. They taste wonderful with butter, or a drizzle of honey on top. You can also grill them for 2 minutes per side.
- To freeze, store muffins in an airtight container or bag and freeze for up to 30 days for best taste. Allow muffins to thaw before enjoying.
These muffins pair so well with BBQ meals and side dishes. We love them warm, or even briefly grilled with additional butter and honey drizzle. They are ideal for the following recipe companions:
Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans
Zesty Corn Salad with Feta Cheese
Grilled BBQ Chicken Sausage Kabobs
Sausage Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry
Follow the recipe below to make Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins! This recipe makes 12 SERVINGS, but you can adjust the recipe card for other serving sizes.
Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Muffin Tin – 21 ct.
- Cupcake wrappers
- Non-stick spray
- wooden spoon
- Ice Cream Scoop
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter (one stick), melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 small jalapeno pepper seeded, remove ribs, and diced. Use gloves when handling.
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Line a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake wrappers and spray them lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, corn meal, salt, and baking soda. Add in the butter, sugar, honey, and eggs, and mix to just combine. Fold in the diced pepper and cheese until just evenly distributed.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill sprayed cupcake liners with batter almost to the top of each cup.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Muffins will have a slightly cracked, puffy top and will feel firm to the touch. A toothpick or baking tester inserted into the center of the muffins should come out clean once done.
How much buttermilk do you put in? It is listed in the ingredients but not in the recipe.
Hello Gin, 1 cup! So sorry!
These were soooo delicious, thank you for the recipe!
Jared Desrosiers says
Hi Gin, We’re so glad you liked them! Thanks for reaching out!