My easy and delicious cornbread loaf is made with real sweet corn kernels and heavy cream, so it’s moist, flavorful, and perfect for any occasion or recipe. Serve it with Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil and Sea Salt alongside chili, beans, soup, or your favorite BBQ meal.
This post is sponsored by The National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA) and Land O’Lakes. All opinions are my own. For more inspiration during #JuneDairyMonth, be sure to check out delicious ideas from NFRA at EasyHomeMeals.com #JDM2023
We really enjoyed this easy-to-slice loaf. It was super dense but had plenty of moisture. It is thick with a tight crumb. I love how it is sweet but not dessert-like. The corn kernels add a yummy texture and extra moisture.
Sweet Cornbread Loaf Ingredients
Flour – The flour provides structure to the cornbread. It also helps to absorb the liquid ingredients, which prevents the cornbread from becoming too dry.
Cornmeal – The cornmeal gives the cornbread its distinctive flavor and texture. It also helps to add moisture to the cornbread.
Baking powder – The baking powder helps the cornbread to rise. It also reacts with the acid in the sour cream to create carbon dioxide bubbles, which give the cornbread its light and fluffy texture.
Baking soda – The baking soda also helps the cornbread to rise. It reacts with the acid in the sour cream and the sugar to create carbon dioxide bubbles, which give the cornbread its light and fluffy texture.
Sugar – The sugar adds sweetness to the cornbread. It also helps to activate the baking powder and baking soda.
Butter – The Land O Lakes® Butter adds richness and flavor to the cornbread and helps to keep it moist. The butter should be melted and cooled before adding it to the batter. This will help to prevent it from cooking the eggs.
Eggs – The eggs help to bind the ingredients together and add structure to the cornbread.
Heavy cream – The heavy cream adds richness and moisture to the cornbread.
Sour cream – The sour cream adds acidity to the cornbread, which helps to activate the baking powder and baking soda. It also adds moisture and richness to the cornbread.
Corn kernels – The corn kernels add sweetness, texture, and flavor to the cornbread.
Cornbread Recipe Tips
- Top each slice with Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil and Sea Salt, a delicious, spreadable product from the trusted Land O’Lakes brand. Formed in 1921, Land O’Lakes is a dairy cooperative with over 1000 farmer-owners working together to help produce milk that goes into high-quality dairy products. I love that their Butter with Olive Oil and Sea Salt is easy to use and contains just sweet cream, salt, sea salt, and olive oil – a win/win.
- The cornmeal should be yellow cornmeal, not white cornmeal. Yellow cornmeal has a more distinctive flavor and texture than white cornmeal.
- The butter should be melted and cooled before adding it to the batter. This will help to prevent the butter from melting the eggs and making the batter too runny.
- The eggs should be at room temperature before adding them to the batter. This will help the eggs to blend more evenly with the other ingredients.
- The heavy cream should be cold before adding it to the batter. This will help to keep the batter cold, which will prevent the cornbread from becoming too dense.
- The sour cream can be either sour cream or plain yogurt. Sour cream will add a slightly tangy flavor to the cornbread, while plain yogurt will add a more neutral flavor.
- The corn kernels can be fresh or frozen. If you are using frozen corn kernels, you do not need to thaw them before adding them to the batter.
How to Make Moist Cornbread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
In a separate bowl, cream together the Land O Lakes® Butter, eggs, heavy cream, and sour cream.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the corn kernels.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
This super moist and sweet cornbread loaf can be enjoyed many different ways, but here are some of my favorites:
- As a side dish: Cornbread is a classic side dish for many Southern dishes, such as chili, beans, and barbecue. It can also be served with soup or salad.
- As a snack: Cornbread is a delicious and satisfying snack on its own. You can top it with Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil and Sea Salt (my fave way), honey, or your favorite dipping sauce.
- As a dessert: Cornbread can also be served as a dessert. Top it with ice cream, fruit, or chocolate sauce for a sweet treat.
How to Store Cornbread Loaf
- At room temperature: Cornbread can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. To do this, wrap the cornbread tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. You can also place the cornbread in a breadbox or airtight container.
- In the refrigerator: Cornbread can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To do this, wrap the cornbread tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and then place it in a resealable plastic bag or airtight container.
- In the freezer: Cornbread can be frozen for up to 3 months. To do this, wrap the cornbread tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and then place it in a freezer-safe bag or container.
When you are ready to eat the cornbread, thaw it at room temperature for a few hours, or reheat it in the oven or microwave.
More Tasty Corn Recipes
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Ricotta Dip
- Corn Pudding
- Jalapeno Corn Cheddar Muffins
- Corn and Asparagus Salad
Perfectly Moist and Sweet Cornbread with Real Corn
- 9" bread loaf pan
- parchment paper
- Oven adjusted to the center rack position
- Mixing Bowls
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Preheat oven to 350℉ degrees (175 degrees C). Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar; set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the butter, eggs, heavy cream, and sour cream until fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Fold in the corn kernels until combined.
- Add the batter to the parchment-lined bread pan, and smooth.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow loaf to cool for at least one hour before slicing.
- Serve with Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil and Sea Salt.