This easy Christmas dessert idea comes together with just 4 ingredients. It requires just a little oven time to crisp up the Athens Phyllo Dough shells and can be made ahead of time. This post contains affiliate links.
If you are looking for a quick dessert that requires very little work, these Pistachio Pudding Dessert Bites are it! Perfect for any time of year, this pudding dessert is festive in holiday color. It is ideal for people who love pistachio flavored desserts.
I made these in honor of my dad who died almost 6 years ago the week before Christmas. He LOVED pistachio flavored desserts and since his birthday is tomorrow, something popped into my head to make this dessert.
Why we love these pistachio desserts
- They are a 2-bite dessert
- They take about 15 minutes to make
- You can easily make a TON!
- The flavors are incredible
- Kid & adult friendly
- Perfect for ANY season
- Athens Phyllo Dough Shells
- COOL Whip
- Pistachio nuts
- JELL-O Instant Pistachio Pudding (2 cups of milk)
- Maraschino cherries
How to make pudding bites
Start out by preparing the instant pistachio pudding. You will need 2 cups of whole milk, and one box of JELL-O Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix. This pudding comes together with ice-cold milk, and 5 minutes of vigorous mixing. The pudding will thicken as it sits.
You will only need 1 1/2 teaspoons of pudding per shell. I had 1 3/4 cups of pudding leftover since I only made one batch.
The Athens Phyllo Dough Shells will need to be baked in the oven to crisp them up. DO NOT skip out on this step because if you do the pudding will make them very mushy! Follow the package instructions-they are super easy!
I used maraschino cherries, and counted out the amount I needed. I put them on a clean paper towel to absorb any excess juices. If you do not absorb the juices they will be watery when you add them to your dessert.
For the whipped topping, I used a large star piping tip and piped COOL Whip on each cup. I kept the amount of whipped cream small to not overpower the cups.
Crumbled pistachio nuts were sprinkled on the tops of the pistachio pudding cups. I only needed 1 tablespoon of chopped nuts for 15 cups since they are so small.
These can be made earlier in the day for the evening. I do suggest you keep them chilled for best flavor. Remember, toast the shells so they maintain a crisp crunch!
More tasty recipes to try…
Whether you like pistachio or phyllo dough, here are some recipes you might want to try–I promise they are not complicated! I really loved these Toasted Coconut Macaroon Cups & these Pistachio Pudding Cookies from Sizzling Eats!
Pistachio Pudding Dessert Bites
- baking sheet
- Large bowl
- star tip, piping bag
- 1.9 ounce Athens Phyllo Dough Shells
- 1/2 cup instant pistachio pudding prepared
- 1/2 cup COOL Whip
- 2 tbsps. crushed pistachio nuts
- 15 maraschino cherries patted dry
- Add 2 cups of ice cold milk and the instant pudding mix to a large bowl and whisk for 5 minutes. Pudding will thicken as it sits. While it thickens prepare the shells.
- Bake shells for 5 mins at 350° f. to toast them. Cool shells for 2-3 minutes before filling.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of pudding to each cup. Follow with a piped 1 teaspoon of COOL Whip added to each. Add one maraschino cherry to each cup follow by a light sprinkle of crushed pistachio nuts.