Best Ever Stovetop Lemon Rice Pudding Recipe. A delicious lemony rice pudding recipe that is made with common ingredients like milk, and fresh lemon.
Nothing makes someone smile more genuinely than giving them a homemade sweet treat. Around here, my kids and husband have become so accustomed to my cooking and baking that I already know the way to their hearts are with desserts like this Stovetop Lemon Rice Pudding Recipe which I made using ingredients like real butter.
When I think of my Vavo, I think back to that yummy Portuguese rice pudding she’d make. I feel like she had it on her table every week to welcome anyone who’d stop by for a cup of coffee or tea. It reminded me how much everyone loved it and the smiles it would produce.
Why this Rice Pudding Recipe Works
- Inexpensive for the amount of servings it produces.
- Has a delicious creamy texture, and lemon flavor.
- Tastes good chilled or warm.
- Can be eaten for breakfast or enjoyed as a dessert.
- Perfect for bake sales.
That is why I decided to make a huge batch for my family to spread some cheer. While this is not the Portuguese Sweet Rice recipe, this is more of the American classic stovetop version with a lemony twist!
These stovetop lemon rice pudding cups are so perfect to pass out to people. I gave my Mother & Father in law a cup to enjoy, as well as my husband and children. I even think these would make the PERFECT bake sale treat because you can easily jazz up the rice pudding cups with little cupcake liners, sunny yellow ribbon, and even a flower.
Don’t they look so cute?
My kids seemed to think so even though they were more concerned with digging into the warm, custard-like rice pudding!
Like with most recipes, there are a few swaps you can do with this recipe that will still yield tasty results.
Butter – You can use margarine like Country Crock for this recipe. Just measure out the tablespoons needed.
Rice – I prefer Jasmine rice when making this recipe, but you can also use Basmati Rice with great results. Medium or Minute rice would not work for this recipe as written.
Lemon flavor – While I prefer lemon peel, not everyone may have access to that. However, you can use lemon extract. I recommend adding 1/2 a tablespoon of lemon extract + 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract if you go that route.
Liquids – While I love the flavor and creaminess whole milk provides, you can also use 2% milk or a milk & water combination. 6 cups of whole milk + 2 cups of water will also work. At the end of the day, you want 8 cups of liquid per 2 cups of rice.
More Lemon Recipes to Try Today
Best Ever Stovetop Lemon Rice Pudding Recipe
- In a large thick walled stock pot, add your milk, sugar, butter, and fresh lemon rind, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add in rice, and reduce heat to medium/low.
- Stir frequently, and bring to a rice and milk mixture to boil. **If you are adding raisins add them now.
- Once boiling stir, and reduce heat to a simmer stirring occasionally.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove excess lemon rind.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the egg yolks. They will be tempered due to the heat.
- Divide rice into small cups. Top with cinnamon (optional). Allow rice to cool before adding whipped cream.