Do you love Chicken Parmesan? I know I do! But it can often be a bit time-consuming to make. That’s why I love this Chicken Parmesan Casserole – it’s the perfect mix of all your favorite flavors, and it’s so much easier to make than traditional chicken parmesan.
And just like our Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole and Corn Chip Pie Casserole, it’s great for a family dinner or for entertaining guests. So give this casserole a try – I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
This casserole recipe is made with seasoned pan-fried white meat chicken, ziti pasta, marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and topped with garlic panko bread crumbs. After baking in the oven, the finished casserole is a heavenly combination of stringy melted cheese, chicken, and pasta!
Why We Love It
- It’s faster and easier to make than traditional chicken parmesan.
- Easily feeds a family of five with leftovers!
- A balanced meal
- Family friendy – kid approved!
How to Make
The full recipe and instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this article, but here’s a quick rundown of how to make it. Gather all your ingredients you will need.
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and boil the pasta. Then, season and cook the chicken breasts in a large skillet over medium heat. Once they’re cooked through (165 degrees F.), add them to a baking dish.
Pour the marinara sauce over the chicken and pasta, and then top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Finally, sprinkle on some buttery, seasoned bread crumbs.
We made our bread crumbs using panko, salted, melted butter, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the bread crumbs are golden-brown.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Use Rotisserie Chicken
Have leftover rotisserie chicken or want a quicker way to assemble this casserole? Simply remove any bones and skin from the chicken and shred 1 1/2 cups worth to add to this dish. This will save time since you will not have to pan-fry the chicken.
Use Breaded Chicken
Breaded chicken will add a nice texture and flavor to this casserole making it more close to the original recipe. You will just need to fully cook/bake the breaded chicken and chop it up into bite-sized pieces before adding it to the dish.
Tips for Success
This recipe is delicious with homemade marinara sauce. If you have some, consider using it.
Adding the Parmesan cheese to this dish really provides an upgraded flavor.
Don’t skimp on mixing the bread crumbs with butter, garlic, and seasoning. It really makes the casserole spectacular and ties together the flavors.
Refrigerator – Store all leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave until warmed.
Freezer– Store cooled or prebaked casserole in a foil baking pan with a lid. Wrap the casserole in multiple layers of foil to prevent freezer burn. Write the baking time (always defrost in the fridge the night before) on the pan, and temp. Free for up to 3 months time. *You will need to add more sauce since ANY pasta casserole absorbs sauce quickly.*
Other Recommended Casserole Recipes
We have a large collection of other casserole recipes to choose from. Here are some recommendations you’ll definitely want to try:
- French Onion Ground Beef Casserole
- Cheesy Crab Bake Casserole
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
- Fish Sticks Casserole
Do you have a favorite casserole recipe? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below! And if you try this Chicken Parmesan Casserole, be sure to let me know how you liked it. Bon appetit!
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 5-quart stock pot to boil pasta
- Oven adjusted to the center rack position
- 9 x 13 deep casserole dish
- cutting board & knife
- large skillet
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Cheese Grater
- Small bowl
- 8 ounces rigatoni or penne
- 1½ cups white meat chicken cubed. *Can also use rotisserie chicken or cooked, breaded tender
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 48 ounces marinara
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons salted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and chicken pieces. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until clear juices run freely from the chicken; about 8 minutes; set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente (just tender); drain.
- In a small bowl, mix the panko, seasonings, and melted butter; set aside.
- Add drained pasta, marinara, and cooked chicken to the baking dish. Add half the shredded cheeses, and mix.
- Top casserole with the rest of the cheese, and sprinkle on the buttered, seasoned, bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25-30 minute uncovered or until cheese is melted, and bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Serve warm & enjoy!