A creamy, flavorful ground beef casserole with the delicious taste of French Onion. Topped with cheese, and fried onions, this casserole contains so much flavor in every bite.
Do you love French onion soup? If so, you’ll love this French onion ground beef casserole! It’s the perfect comfort food for a chilly winter evening. The best part is that it’s easy to make and only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. You’ll have a delicious, hearty meal that everyone in your family will love. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get the ingredients for this tasty beef meal ready!
My family all gobbled this meal down instantly and even requested seconds. They said it reminded them of an upgraded Hamburger Helper with the flavor of their favorite French Onion Chip Dip.
Making this recipe was also easy which is always a plus because I volunteer a lot at my kids’ school plus manage a lot of virtual work.
How to Make French Onion Beef Casserole
This recipe is easy and produces a hot, tasty dish that is perfect for anytime of year. Of course, we do love our casseroles in the winter around here! The first thing you will want to do is gather all your ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350° F. and grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Fill a large stock pot with water, and bring to a boil. Add the egg noodles to the pan, and cook for about 8 minutes or until al dente.
In a large skillet, add ground beef, and diced onion. Cook over medium heat until hamburger is browned. Season with pepper. Drain any excess grease.
Add sour cream, onion soup mix, and cream of mushroom soup to the skillet, and stir to combine.
Drain the egg noodles and add to a greased casserole dish. Add the creamy hamburger mixture over the noodles, and toss to combine.
Add shredded cheddar to the top of the casserole.
Sprinkle topping with fried onions and bake at 350°F. for 15 minutes.
Recipe Tips for Success
Like every good dish, there are some recipe tips, and swaps to make this the BEST meal ever for your family.
Beef – I do recommend using a lean ground beef for this recipe to skip the draining step. Since this casserole is so creamy you will not miss out on any moisture or flavor by opting for the lean cut. We use ButcherBox which has the best meats around! See how you can get 7 pounds of FREE meat with them!
Proteins – You can use meatless crumbles, ground turkey, chicken, venison, or bison.
French Onion Dip – A 16-ounce container of premade French Onion Dip can be used for this recipe. You can opt for either shelf-stable or refrigerated.
Soups – Don’t like cream of celery? You can use cream of mushroom or even chicken!
Cheese – These casserole is so good with Swiss cheese but there was none in-stock at the time I purchased these ingredients. However, when I remade this I used white cheddar and it worked perfectly. I shredded mine in my food processor.
How to Store this Casserole
This casserole tastes best the same day it is made since the onions do get soggy if they sit around. However, if you do have extras, you can store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I recommend adding fresh onion topping for a nice crunch!
To reheat, place leftovers in a microwave-safe container and heat until warmed. You can also warm this in a 350 F. heated oven for 15 minutes.
More Ground Beef Casseroles to Try Today
- Corn Chip Pie
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Cheesy Meatball Casserole
- Cheesy Crab Pasta Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
French Onion Ground Beef Casserole
- Oven adjusted to the center rack position
- cutting board & knife
- large skillet
- can opener
- wooden spoon
- 9 x 13 casserole dish
- 10 ounces egg noodles boiled until al dente, drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion yellow, diced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ounce Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion (one pouch)
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 21 ounces Cream of Mushroom Soup 2 cans, I used Healthy Request *Can also use Cream of Celery!!!
- 8 ounces cheddar shredded
- ½ cup French's Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and grease a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Fill a large stock pot with water, and bring to a boil. Add the egg noodles to the pan, and cook for about 8 minutes or until al dente.
- In a large skillet, add ground beef, and diced onion. Cook over medium heat until hamburger is browned. Season with pepper. Drain any excess grease.
- Add sour cream, onion soup mix, and cream of mushroom soup to the skillet, and stir to combine.
- Drain the egg noodles and add to a greased casserole dish. Add the creamy hamburger mixture over the noodles, and toss to combine.
- Add shredded cheddar to the top of the casserole.
- Sprinkle topping with fried onions and bake at 350°F. for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy casserole warm!