These Chocolate Caramel Brownies (with Ghirardelli Caramel Squares) are truly decadent and easy to make – what more could you want?! They combine the wonderful flavors of premium dark chocolate and Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares for a rich, fudgy treat that goes over well with everyone. This post is sponsored by Ghirardelli. All views are my own.
There is nothing more indulgent than a warm chocolate caramel brownie. You might be thinking that you don’t have the time to make these chocolaty treats, but I promise you it’s worth it! These brownies taste just as good as they look and are easier to make than you think. Follow my homemade brownie recipe for your next family dinner or dessert party. Your guests will love them! Plus, they make an awesome gift idea with an extra bag of Ghirardelli Chocolate Caramel Squares!
Why I Love These Brownies
If you are the type of person who prefers a fudgy brownie over a cakey brownie then this recipe is for you! Since the base recipe for these brownies is made with premium ingredients like Ghirardelli 100% Cocoa Powder, and Bittersweet 60% Cacao Baking Chips they appeal to anyone (like myself) who loves darker chocolate. The addition of Ghirardelli Chocolate Caramel Squares on the top layer adds a lovely texture, and balance of sweetness that pairs nicely with these premium brownies. Plus, you can be flexible with which Ghirardelli Squares you add on top making these even better!
Ghirardelli Chocolate Caramel Squares
I don’t know about you, but Ghirardelli Chocolate Caramel Squares are my favorite of all their many flavors. From Bean to Bar: their commitment to ultimate quality is apparent in every bite! I love the rich milk chocolate, and the delicate crunch that reveals a buttery, silky layer of caramel.
Years ago, my first square had me hooked, and now these are a holiday staple for our home. These are perfect for not only baking, or snacking, but gifting too! We love to add a bag of Ghirardelli Squares (available at Walmart) to gifts like gift cards, or for delivery people. Everyone can agree that chocolate makes an amazing gift–just add a bow and you have an instant gift!
What You’ll Need to Make These
Baking homemade treats around the holidays is important to me. I love to bless others with homemade baked goods that show how much I care. Recipes like these chocolate caramel brownies are a gift that any chocolate lover would appreciate. Before you get started, you’ll need to pick up some items from Walmart to bake these.
Butter – You’ll need unsalted butter for this recipe, and the best part is it can be cold. You will be melting it in a sauce pan making these brownies perfect for “on a whim” baking.
Chocolate – This recipe is made with premium chocolate which makes a huge deal in texture, and taste. I used Ghirardelli 100% Cocoa Powder, and Bittersweet 60% Cacao Baking Chips. After my brownies baked and cooled a bit, I added Caramel Squares to them.
Eggs – You’ll need 4 total eggs for these fudgetastic brownies. If you can get your hands on some farm-fresh eggs it will be even better!! A lot of eggs = a fudgy, non-cakey texture.
Vanilla extract – For flavor balance, be sure to use actual vanilla extract and not the knockoff stuff.
Pantry Staples – This recipe also uses all-purpose flour (just a cup), baking powder, and salt.
How to Make Chocolate Ghirardelli Caramel Brownies
These brownies are a little more involved than the typical dump, mix, and pour recipes. You will need a little stovetop cooking as well as your oven. Be sure your oven is preheat to 350 degrees F. and adjusted to the center rack position.
Pro Tip: Line a 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper to make removal (once cooled) and cutting a breeze.
In a 2-quart sauce pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar, and chocolate chips. Whisk until combined, and thick.
Transfer chocolate mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time, stirring between each, and then mix in the extract.
Add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Using a wooden spoon, mix until just combined. You should see no more flour streaks.
Pour batter into parchment-lined pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Cool for 15 minutes before adding 9 Ghirardelli Squares to the pan.
Allow brownies to cool for at least once hour before removing them from the pan and slicing.
These Chocolate Caramel Brownies will stay fresh for up to 3 days when stored at room temperature in an airtight container. You can also freeze them perfectly. Simply cool, cut, and freeze on a baking sheet. Once frozen, individually wrap each, and store them in a freezer-safe container or bag. Thaw in the fridge before enjoying.
Other Chocolaty Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Dark Chocolate Coconut Truffles
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Cracker Sandwiches
- Chocolate-Filled Real Cream Squares
- Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Chocolate Caramel Brownies (with Ghirardelli Squares)
- 2-quart saucepan
- large mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 9" x 9" baking dish
- parchment paper
- Measuring cups & spoons
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- ½ cup Ghirardelli Bittersweet 60% Cacao Baking Chips
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Ghirardelli 100% Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 9 Ghirardelli Chocolate Caramel Squares unwrapped
- Be sure your oven is preheat to 350 degrees F. and adjusted to the center rack position. Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a 2-quart sauce pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar, and chocolate chips. Whisk until combined, and thick.
- Transfer chocolate mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time, stirring between each, and then mix in the extract.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Using a wooden spoon, mix until just combined. You should see no more flour streaks.
- Pour batter into parchment-lined pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. These will look a little under baked, but they are just fudgy and will form as they cool.
- Cool brownies for 15 minutes before adding Ghirardelli Chocolate Caramel Squares. Allow brownies to full cool for an additional 45 minutes before removing them from the pan and cutting.